• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ccw at world congress center

Even if they are screening and they don't find it you are legally ok carrying there. If they find it say "my bad" and take it to your car.

There was a big sign saying "No Firearms" at the entrance into the actual show area with a couple of Fulton County Sheriffs sitting there but no metal detectors, no searching. I didn't carry though.

Yea I know a lot has changed. I'm moreso just concern with metal detectors and wands. I couldn't remember if they had those there.

July 1, 2014 if they have a properly trained police officer at the screening area or arms reach and you attempt to carry into a government building with proper screening and signage you will break the law and can be arrested.

Not screening, no properly trained LEO at a government facility, legal to carry. Period.

Not quite RamRodDoc. The law first says it's unlawful to carry at a government building. Thats the general rule. Now we look for exceptions where the rule doesn't apply.
What if there's security screening at the entrances? Or any form of supervised, restricted ingress?
The law says: "A license holder shall be authorized to carry a weapon in a government building when the government building is open for business and where ingress into such building is not restricted or screened by security personnel."
So if you do have security personnel, even if they're not cops or other LEO, that means the above exception doesn't apply to you. The exception to the exception equals no exception. The general rule of "no guns" applies.

But then the legislature says that it's only a MISDEMEANOR CRIME if the security people are POST-certified officers. Cops and Deputies, basically.

So what the General Assembly may have done is left a gap or gray area where it's not legal to do something (bring a gun through the security checkpoint staffed by private guards or non-LEO security screeners) but it's not an arrestable misdemeanor crime, either.

What does that mean? It means while they can't arrest you just for bringing your gun there, they may not have to let you in, either. They may be within the scope of their duties to insist that you do not enter, and to use force against you to stop you if you insist. You may end up committing the crime of disorderly conduct or criminal trespass or some such offense if you try to enter when they want you out.

The legislature screwed up here. HB 60 has at least a few similar mistakes and conflicts in it, and it needs a fix for the sake of clarity.

If you think there's only one way to read the law, go read the opinion of the Floyd County Superior Court judge when he ruled completely against GCO and a local armed citizen who wanted to carry at an air show held at a public airport. But because a private entity (the company that arranges for air shows and sells tickets to them) leased the airport grounds for a weekend to hold that show, the court ruled that for that weekend, the airport was to be considered private property, not government property, and the "no guns" rule could be enforced (even with criminal trespass as a possible criminal penalty for those who would stay and argue).

My understanding was if the security were not specifically trained (POST) LEO if you were a legal vetted permit carrier, they if on discovery that a). you had a permit b). you had a weapon/firearm on your person the security were to ask you to depart and store your weapon elsewhere and you could return. Refusal to depart was/is considered "trespassing" an arrestable misdemeanor offense.

If a POST trained officer was present, signage and screening was being accomplished then if discovery of a weapon on a vetted permit carrier it was considered an arrestable misdemeanor which could put your carry permit in jeopardy-revocation.

The law will be read in a fashion the benefits the government in my opinion.

Prior to July 1, 2014 when a private entity "rented" government property it was considered still government property and illegal to carry. So a Floyd county judge has now ruled it's changed to "private" if a private entity "rents" government property even if for a weekend to allow the prohibition of lawful permitted citizen carry in order to perpetuate the almighty "GUN FREE ZONE" does not surprise me in the very least.

It always boils down to who does the interpretation. The above judge ruling, did that set a new precedent? Or is it being lumped into the same category as a rental home or rental car?

went there two months ago for an expo and there was no issues. No metal detectors, no searches, nothing. As long as you had a pass, you were good.
Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom