• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

CCW question

If I'm not mistaken, in Georgia, churches are still off limits without approval from that specific church.

It was South Carolina but I'm willing to bet Dylan Roof wasn't concerned about permission. Crazy people do crazy stuff regardless of what the law says.

Ok I get it, I won't OC my Mosin, but some of the legal minds answer me this. If a church is operating in a school gym on Sunday why is it not a church instead of a school at that time? If it is still a school, the church can't be there right?

Good point. Cuz say for example a chickfila is hosting an event for a school in their restaurant. As long as the school event is going on, its now a school zone and technically no legal carry at that chickfila until they end the school function. I was told this by police officials in a recent active shooter seminar for ministers. So yeah, seems the reverse should hold true. On sunday it is now a "church facility" but maybe not. Double standard would not surprise me.

If I'm not mistaken, in Georgia, churches are still off limits without approval from that specific church.

It was South Carolina but I'm willing to bet Dylan Roof wasn't concerned about permission. Crazy people do crazy stuff regardless of what the law says.

This is probably the answer. A school can authorize a church to use its building, in the same manner it can authorize a shooting event.

Yep church needs to give the ok!

Good point. Cuz say for example a chickfila is hosting an event for a school in their restaurant. As long as the school event is going on, its now a school zone and technically no legal carry at that chickfila until they end the school function. I was told this by police officials in a recent active shooter seminar for ministers. So yeah, seems the reverse should hold true. On sunday it is now a "church facility" but maybe not. Double standard would not surprise me.
Function does not equate to school zone.

I did not know this. Wherever the school goes becomes the school?

I thought it sounded redunkulous! But that was one of the issues covered. According to acworth police officials and other "big wigs" at the seminar, yes. : (

Ok I get that if the school rents a building for the prom, said building becomes the school, but if the school shows up at the Zoo? :wacko: They had to be mistaken.

This is probably the answer. A school can authorize a church to use its building, in the same manner it can authorize a shooting event.

Wasn't exactly the way I was going with it but yes it works. Some schools still have sactioned rifle teams (usually part of the JROTC program). Same would apply to Archery in schools and school sponsored 4H shooting teams.

As for the School/Church carry either way you turn, it's probably no.

Carry at school - Q: May I carry at schools – K through 12?
A: Yes. HB60 does not allow for carry at K-12 schools. However, a person with a Georgia Weapons License may carry a firearm while dropping off or picking up a student and also may keep a firearm in a motor vehicle while parked on campus

Carry at Church - Q: Can I carry to or at church?
A: No, unless the church has a policy of allowing carry in their individual church. HB60 modified church carry so if you are caught carrying a weapon in a church that does not allow carry, you will be ticketed and fined up to $100. You will also be subject to losing your GWL for up to 5 years. You may have a weapon in your car in the parking lot with a valid Georgia Weapons License which has been legal since SB308 was signed into law on June 4, 2010.

So you can't carry at the school (only to drop off/pick up) and you can't carry at church (without prior approval) so REGARDLESS if it's a school function at the school or a church function at the school, either way it's NO.

Wasn't exactly the way I was going with it but yes it works. Some schools still have sactioned rifle teams (usually part of the JROTC program). Same would apply to Archery in schools and school sponsored 4H shooting teams.

As for the School/Church carry either way you turn, it's probably no.

Carry at school - Q: May I carry at schools – K through 12?
A: Yes. HB60 does not allow for carry at K-12 schools. However, a person with a Georgia Weapons License may carry a firearm while dropping off or picking up a student and also may keep a firearm in a motor vehicle while parked on campus

Carry at Church - Q: Can I carry to or at church?
A: No, unless the church has a policy of allowing carry in their individual church. HB60 modified church carry so if you are caught carrying a weapon in a church that does not allow carry, you will be ticketed and fined up to $100. You will also be subject to losing your GWL for up to 5 years. You may have a weapon in your car in the parking lot with a valid Georgia Weapons License which has been legal since SB308 was signed into law on June 4, 2010.

So you can't carry at the school (only to drop off/pick up) and you can't carry at church (without prior approval) so REGARDLESS if it's a school function at the school or a church function at the school, either way it's NO.

I got where you were going. I was assuming the church approves carry in my hypothetical. Your answer just made me think of the establishments authority to decide in either case.

Soooooo could the school board authorize a traveling curios and relics museum to use its gym for an event? Or could they even go so far as authorizing a gun show? Talk about a gun show loophole. Liberals would spontaneously combust.

Back
Top Bottom