• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Changed out a powersteering pump and now I'm in Mustang Hydroboost hell! How do you bleed this thing?

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
505   0
Reaction score
I helped my son replace the PS pump on his 1998 Mustang GT. 2 hoses, 4 bolts and a pulley removal and install later and we are done. Fill it full of fluid and crank it to let the pump run a second and go to back it off the ramps and BOOM!! We got no damn brakes OR power steering. Now I've read 15 different articles with 17 different methods to bleed this ridiculous system Does anyone know how to do this in your driveway without damaging the pump? I've never in my life seen a PS pump impact your brakes, but evidently this is the hydroboost way.

On any ford vehicle you need the front wheels off the ground. Fill to full mark and crank engine. If fluid drops and it starts to whine turn engine off. Give it a moment as bubbles will be present and refill to full and continue until no whine. Then start turning the wheel left and right in slow intervals. If fluid level drops shut off engine and refill. But still watch for small bubbles in fluid if they occur just stop and have a smoke break 🤣. It want take them long to dissipate and continue until full. Hope this helps and good luck.

Never would have guessed they used a hydro booster in the mustang. Ive only seen them in multi ton trucks.
I agree only on the trucks. I thought it was odd but have seen some weird things happen from the factory every so often. I think its done to mess with the one individual that buys that vehicle 🤣.

I got it. This was the third pump we tried! It worked like a charm. The first two were reman china junk. Looks like Ford stopped using the hydroboost system in 2004. Smart move.
Been there before as well. Think you did something wrong just to find out it's the parts.! There are only a few brands I personally use and currently trying to get my 2 boys to understand why. And even using the same parts store. I give a shout out to Brad at the Fayetteville Autozone he is the man!

Back
Top Bottom