• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest 45acp plinking load wanted

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely checkout Sporting Arms, I've been there a few times but never paid attention to powders. One more question: can any brand of primers be substituted for another without fear?

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely checkout Sporting Arms, I've been there a few times but never paid attention to powders. One more question: can any brand of primers be substituted for another without fear?

Primers? For plinking loads, you should be OK. When pushing max, you need to work up again when changing primers.

While not mandatory, a chronograph really takes a lot of guesswork out of reloading.

See post # 36.

I was mainly just ball busting. Every gun maker say to not use reloads in their guns or void the warranty. Certain guns may specify that cast shouldn't be used. I shoot cast in everything I own- From .32 cal. pistol to 45-70 rifle. Everything in between as well. Mild to wild, plinking, defense and hunting.

If I couldn't shoot cast in my guns I wouldn't shoot. I can get .38 Special down to about $1.75- $2.00 a box of 50 158gr. cast bullet. Cheaper, way more accurate/consistent and I can shoot them cheaper than .22s. When I can grab the Mosin or the Enfield or the Mauser and plink with a nice cast load that is subsonic or kick it up to a screamer, I just smile. Cheap and fun. I also really like casting bullets and lubesizing them and loading them it's all part of the "therapy"....

Internet myth.

I strongly disagree and believe that is dangerous advice. Request the book 'Glocks in Competition' from the library and look at chapter on lead. Have lots of people gotten away with it for lots of years? Absolutely. I know anecdotal experience carries a lot of weight in our hobby. But rest assured, some individual Glock barrels, combined with some lead bullets of a particular hardness and size, have caused a KB in somebody's hand. Proceed with caution and really know what you're doing if you decide to run cast through your Glock..

While I'm not obviously not ready to cast my own bullets (one thing at a time, haha), what's the simplest way and what's involved? Is it simply melt the wheel weights and pour them into a mold and that's it? Obviously, special care has to be taken in the handling but is that the gist of it?

I strongly disagree and believe that is dangerous advice. Request the book 'Glocks in Competition' from the library and look at chapter on lead. Have lots of people gotten away with it for lots of years? Absolutely. I know anecdotal experience carries a lot of weight in our hobby. But rest assured, some individual Glock barrels, combined with some lead bullets of a particular hardness and size, have caused a KB in somebody's hand. Proceed with caution and really know what you're doing if you decide to run cast through your Glock..

Some Glocks KB on factory, jacketed ammo.

Back
Top Bottom