• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest way to reload 5.56

I have found that if you are just shooting basic 55gr FMJ that it's not that much of a savings to shoot reloaded rounds compared to some of the better priced brass ammo (~$300/1k).

where it really helps is if you are shooting much better bullets (69 or 77gr) or just want to have a load for your specific rifle. I bought 1k 77gr PHBT bullets a month or so ago for $130. that'll make a nice box of ammo soon. :)

so yes, depending upon your powder (7000grains/pound of powder), so if you are shooting a 25gr load, that's 280 rounds per pound of powder or $80/1k for powder. 1k rounds of once fired brass from The brass exchange is $50. processing another $40 (I don't like to trim, swage, etc - Home but it looks like Danny is closed till maybe January), and around $100 for 1k projectiles, $20/thousand for primers (I load a lot of Tula and Wolf primers and they work fine). $300 plus a lot of time and effort.

but for a little more money($40-100), you can build the same thing but with much better bullets. Check to see how much 1k rounds of 77gr HPBT ammo is and get back to me. :)

if you guys are going to do a group buy on projectiles or other reloading stuff, let me know, I'd be very interested and I can get to cumming/buford pretty often.

I have found that if you are just shooting basic 55gr FMJ that it's not that much of a savings to shoot reloaded rounds compared to some of the better priced brass ammo (~$300/1k).

where it really helps is if you are shooting much better bullets (69 or 77gr) or just want to have a load for your specific rifle. I bought 1k 77gr PHBT bullets a month or so ago for $130. that'll make a nice box of ammo soon. :)

so yes, depending upon your powder (7000grains/pound of powder), so if you are shooting a 25gr load, that's 280 rounds per pound of powder or $80/1k for powder. 1k rounds of once fired brass from The brass exchange is $50. processing another $40 (I don't like to trim, swage, etc - Home but it looks like Danny is closed till maybe January), and around $100 for 1k projectiles, $20/thousand for primers (I load a lot of Tula and Wolf primers and they work fine). $300 plus a lot of time and effort.

but for a little more money($40-100), you can build the same thing but with much better bullets. Check to see how much 1k rounds of 77gr HPBT ammo is and get back to me. :)

if you guys are going to do a group buy on projectiles or other reloading stuff, let me know, I'd be very interested and I can get to cumming/buford pretty often.

Been thinking about using thess guys for initial purchases of brass, but haven't yet:

Processed brass - GSS Competition

Figure it this way:Wideners Reloading:5000 62gr FMJ 370.00 Shipped5000 SR Wolf primers 100.00 ShippedThere is 7000gr per LB of powder. 8 LB of Varget 125.00.Brass is free if you pick it up and I have reloaded the same piece of brass as many as 10 times or until the neck splits. 0.00 freebie...Runs out to about .15 per round or 7.55 for 50. Not to shabby if you ask me. Or take the easy route and use this Handloading Cost calculator. Handloading Cost Calculator Happy reloading........

For cheap eats in 223/5.56, you gotta shop:

Surplus powder: Wideners, 844 at $85/8lb = 3.8 cents per round
Tula Small Rifle (magnum cup) primers, Grafs (dealer/C&R pricing) 5000 at $74.99 = 1.5 cents per round
Bullets: Wideners has a few choices roughly = 7.2 cents per round
Brass...free. If you don't haven any, start picking some up at the local range, or save what you shoot of the boxed stuff. Trade brass in calibers you don't shoot for 223/5.56 brass.

You have to do group buys for bulk to spread the cost of shipping, free hazmat, and avoid sales tax and credit-card add on fees.

Cost = 12.5 cents per round. And a lot of time spent making it. But it's fun.

Back
Top Bottom