• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning an old WW2 stock

Kikoz

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Guys. How do I clean the wood on my old WW2 rifle? What's the safest way to remove some dirt and stuff that accumulated on the stock over the years without damaging its original finish? Any advice is much appreciated!

If youre just cleaning it and not refinishing it, ive had lot of success in mixing murphys oil soap double-strength in hot water, scrubbing in small areas at a time, and letting it air dry in the sun for a day or two. Things like crud cutter, mineral spirits, and other strong cleaners almost always take away some of the finish as they scrub.

What kind of weapon are you working on?
Original finish?

A few years ago, I used linseed oil and bronze wool very lightly to clean off the sticky grime on an old 1950's Marlin 30-30. Emphasis on very, very lightly. Didn't go through the finish, and hand buffed it out for hours. I only did it because it was too sticky to shoulder. Turned out really good. I cut it with something, but I'd have to look it up to remember what it was.

Last edited:
Is it a Mosin?

In that case, 100 grit sand paper on a belt sander!

J/K.

Leave it alone. If it is 68 years old (or older) leave it alone for goodness sake. At this point it is called "character".

Back
Top Bottom