• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning suppressors baffles made easy!

When my cap was stuck I wrapped electrical tape around the jaws of some channel locks to keep it from scuffing up the cap and then I had a buddy hold the tube while I twisted the cap off with the channel locks.

It took some elbow grease and the jaws did cut through the tape and scuff my cap up a little bit, but I did get it to break loose and come off.

Did you try any solvent to help break it loose?

My sparrow won't break loose now with less than 200 rounds.

That's the main reason I went with the SWR Spectre II for a 22 can. They advertised that it was designed to prevent the baffles from binding in the tube and so far it's been 100% true. I went around 1000 rounds without cleaning across several different shooting sessions to verify, and had no problem breaking it down afterwards.

In contrast, my MIST integrally suppressed 10/22 barrel needs to be broken loose every 50 rounds or so, and cleaned every 200 or it will bind up. Last time was so bad it had to go back to GemTech.

Did you try any solvent to help break it loose?
No I didn’t. I always clean the monocore and clamshells with “the dip” but I was afraid to pour any of it into the fully assembled can because it’s some pretty nasty stuff and I was afraid of it leaking out.

The only other solvent I had on hand was brake cleaner and I honestly didn’t think it would do much to free up the threaded cap.

I just grabbed it with the channel locks and twisted the heck out of it.

When you do get your cap off, get yourself a stick of that copper anti seize that I posted earlier in this thread and butter the cap threads up real good before reassembling. It will make disassembly a lot easier in the future.

That's the main reason I went with the SWR Spectre II for a 22 can. They advertised that it was designed to prevent the baffles from binding in the tube and so far it's been 100% true. I went around 1000 rounds without cleaning across several different shooting sessions to verify, and had no problem breaking it down afterwards.

In contrast, my MIST integrally suppressed 10/22 barrel needs to be broken loose every 50 rounds or so, and cleaned every 200 or it will bind up. Last time was so bad it had to go back to GemTech.
I remember that thread about you having to send the MIST back to Gemtech.

It’s crazy that it locked up THAT tight after only 200 rounds!

baffles before after.jpg
This was after about 2 hours in the tumbler with warm water and dish soap. I'm never tumbled anything before, but this was so much easier than ultrasonic cleaner and scrubbing them. Or doing the nasty dip.

Couple questions though, how do you separate your tumble media from the water when you're done? and is this water awful to get on your hands? Lastly, my cheap tumbler says do NOT exceed 3lbs in it total weight, is that usually pretty accurate? I hit 3lbs easy.

View attachment 1702976 This was after about 2 hours in the tumbler with warm water and dish soap. I'm never tumbled anything before, but this was so much easier than ultrasonic cleaner and scrubbing them. Or doing the nasty dip.

Couple questions though, how do you separate your tumble media from the water when you're done? and is this water awful to get on your hands? Lastly, my cheap tumbler says do NOT exceed 3lbs in it total weight, is that usually pretty accurate? I hit 3lbs easy.
I put about 1.5lbs of stainless media in a 3lb tumbler. You want enough to make a cascading effect. When I'm done I usually use a strainer to drain the water off, give it a quick rinse and put back into tumbler with fresh clean water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

View attachment 1702976 This was after about 2 hours in the tumbler with warm water and dish soap. I'm never tumbled anything before, but this was so much easier than ultrasonic cleaner and scrubbing them. Or doing the nasty dip.

Good question. I heard the girlfriend yelling about something so I went into the kitchen. Well the dishwasher deformed her beloved Tupperware. So, I took her scrap, Drilled a bunch of little holes in it and I just strain it that way. I keep my pins and baffles.

Just don't load more than 5 lbs and you are good. Also buy some cheap gloves man. That is lead . That stuff kills in more ways than one.

I have a Frankford Arsenal wet/dry media separator that works great to separate everything, mostly just use it for brass though. With suppressor baffles, I usually just pull the baffles out of the tumbler, then continually flush the SS pins with water until it's clean. Then tip and pour the majority of the water out of the tumbler without pouring out the pins, then put the lid back on for next time.

I pay no attention to the weight on my HF tumbler, I'm sure it's usually double the weight limit when I use it.

Back
Top Bottom