• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMMG AR15 .22 Conversion Kit

cwy

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
Has any of you had experience with the CMMG AR15 conversion kit to .22lr? Looks pretty good and all the reviews seem good too. Just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand knowledge using this.
Thanks

One of the best-running conversion kits out there.

I have seen more than one AR get the gas tube severely clogged with lead from running this kit. The fix is a new gas tube, and they’re a relatively inexpensive part. Should be an easy fix, but it ain’t so for everyone. It does involve removing the rail/ handguards.

Love mine. One of my favorite kits to bring out to the range, and share with newer shooters. Never had a real issue thru 1,000’s of rounds (keep it fairly clean & oiled). Be sure to get the kits with THREE 25rd mags. And to be sure on reliability, go with full power heavier grain ammo. I like Federal AutoMatch for a good all-around.

Agree if you’re looking for best accuracy, then get a dedicated 22lr rifle/upper. If you just wanna mess around and have a fun/cheap way to plink with your main rig, this is def the way to go.

If you decide to pick one up I suggest the "redi-mag" mag adapter as well. It allows you to use the M&P 15-22 magazines, and even has a real bolt hold open. Then the manual of arms is exactly the same as "real" AR.

I also try to change back and shoot at least 5 "full size" 5.56 mm rounds at least every 500 rounds of 22 to blow out the gas tube, and also when you're done shooting the 22LR conversion. It's worked to keep my gas tube clean so far.

I think someone mentioned accuracy in the previous responses. Reliability is acceptable. Accuracy however is not. 22 LR likes a 1 and 16 twist. Most AR-15s are half that or more. Bullet has difficulty stabilizing. Great for SHTF though.

Will confirm - this kit deserves a dedicated upper with the proper twist barrel.

And loading the mags - well, that's a real challenge.

This thing is worth its weight in gold to load the mags.

LIGHTNIN-GRIP-2.jpg

You need a separate adapter for whatever style mag you are using but this thing has saved my thumb a hundred times over...

Good luck OP.

This thing is worth its weight in gold to load the mags.

LIGHTNIN-GRIP-2.jpg

You need a separate adapter for whatever style mag you are using but this thing has saved my thumb a hundred times over...

Good luck OP.
I have one of those. They are definitely worth their weight in gold! Works great!

Has any of you had experience with the CMMG AR15 conversion kit to .22lr? Looks pretty good and all the reviews seem good too. Just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand knowledge using this.
Thanks
Have had one for a year and its a blast and reliable…

Reactions: cwy
Back
Top Bottom