• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Color fill fail

bxtreme24

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
96   0
Reaction score
I've never done color fill before. I never really cared for it. But I recently picked up a Spikes lower to surprise my girl for her first build. I decided to color fill it to give it a special touch. After watching several videos, I decided that acrylic paint was the way I wanted to go. I applied with a toothpick , squeegeed off the excess and let dry. Using bore cleaner and a rag, I went to clean it up. Only to find the paint would not come out of the grain of the finish around the engraving. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and a couple different rags. I used bore cleaner, paint reducer, alcohol and acetone.
What can I use to get it clean without damaging the original finish? And what products do I need to do the job right?
Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Acetone should do the trick. Try fingernail polish next time as it is a lot easier to work with and Hopes will remove it. The enamel pens at WalMart also work well (in craft section). Color fill is one case where less is more in the DIY game.

If you want to get medieval with the paint, MEK will remove it and about anything else. Just make sure to wear gloves and follow ALL the precautions on it. Bad MOFO stuff and burns clear.

I don't know but it would be my last resort. You might want to try GoofOff and see what that does if you have any around. I've taken things off with it that other stuff didn't faze.

Another thought is carb cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom