• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cost Benefit of Reloading Pistol Rounds

9mm ammo is available for 40 to 55 cents a round. Try getting components for that. You will spend a ton on hazmat fees if you are just starting, and you have purchase limits that run your costs up.

9mm ammo is available for 40 to 55 cents a round. Try getting components for that. You will spend a ton on hazmat fees if you are just starting, and you have purchase limits that run your costs up.
If you want to stand outside an academy sports for a couple hours to score 150rds it is.

If you’re trying to buy in bulk, you won’t find it that cheap.

I hit the reloading lottery a few years (5 or 6) back. Started talking to a guy at a range, helped him with his stance and helped him HIT the target... anyway he had several boxes of "stuff" he wanted to dump, so I got it for $50. There were a couple presses, 2 boxes of OLD (but usable primers), dies, .38 and .45 lead bullets and various gun parts. Sold the gun parts and one press (sizer/lube press I'll never use) and made enough for a used progressive press and all the dies I'll need, with some cash left over.
Start looking at estate sales and look for used equipment. What I did learn is 80% of the parts on the used progressive press was considered "service items" and were replaced by the manufacturer for the cost of shipping. There were a couple parts I got that were more upgrades, but still didn't cost much.
The down side to used gear is someone sold it for a reason...

Reloading always pays for itself. You cannot quantify having the ability to manufacture ammo, while others don't, and ammo supplies dry up.

I guarantee you, the Reloaders on this site have not changed their shooting habits during this so called pandemic. Have not worried about not having ammo supplies if the SHTF.

Remember a firearm without ammo is nothing but a brick.

I cast my own projectiles. Lead free from the range. Pick all the brass i need from the range. $32 for 1k primers and $26 a lb for powder. I can quote those prices. I bought it cheap and stacked it deep. So my 9mm and my 40 is right at 6 cpr. I cast for 223 gas check and powder coat. Runs me about 9 cpr.
I bought a dillon xl750 with case feed last year. By my calculations with today's prices on ammo my press is paid for.
I started out with a Lee classic turret press. Running a dillon is like hitting the cheat button.

If you want to stand outside an academy sports for a couple hours to score 150rds it is.

BS. How much you want?
It is available with a simple search. Way easier than obtaining components.

Most of all that needs to be said has.. But one things certain you need time, and lots of it... to find equipment, components, and then of course learning, screwing up, learning some more, more time for shooting your own reloads.. a beginner isn't often gonna be able to start off and load a case of safe, reliable, and accurate ammunition. Even 9mm for example, I've seen lots of newbies struggle to get every aspect right the first few attempts. There are shortcuts to a lot of things in Life, but those typically should be left outside the reloading area until all the basics are covered.

But that being said a 1k case of Sig 124gr V-Crown 9mm is about $1,300, I can literally buy the stuff right now to reload it for $500..

Since the introduction of bulk ammo pricing it's hard to load it cheaper. The difference is quality and consistent accuracy, getting the most out of you and your firearm. You might be able to load cast bullets cheaper, but I hate cleaning a gun after that.

I don't really think reloading is a viable option even if you do have the mechanicals. With the price of powder, primers and projectile. You might save a little but that a lot of work not to save 50 percent.

Back
Top Bottom