• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyote rifle suggestions

Yesterday at the NRA meeting, I talked to a vendor who was selling night vision rifle scopes. I asked him about muzzle flash for different cartridges. He said that night vision today is third generation and it has automatic adjustments for sudden burst of light. So muzzle flash isn't a problem with modern night vision optics.
It could be a problem for your bear eyeballs though if you keep both eyes open while you shoot, and the other eye that's not behind the scope catches a glimpse of that fireball.

He said a lot of common flash hiders are very effective. Even something as small and simple as the M-16 birdcage.

Having both eyes open when shooting at nite can be a little blinding, THE BARE EYE, that is exposed with see the flash and momentary and need refocusing time. Thermal vision devices are the only way to go if you are shooting at night..

Getting 100 yards from a coyote is harder than it sounds. Their sense of smell is stupid sensitive and their eyesight is even better. I would plan on a 200 yard shot as the minimum distance required. You have to be one covert bastard to get real close to a coyote. I lived in Oklahoma for five years where coyotes are everywhere but seeing one is next to impossible. I think I might have seen one or two in that time. They hug fence rows and are super keen at not being seen. I would want a gun that would give me the best advantage I can get. That and I would want a hard hitting gun. A 22-250 is low cost in bolt action and the ammo is reasonable. I would also like to know if I get a 200 to 400 yard shot I could take it and be confident in my guns ability to get there and it being accurate enough to do it. Hell, the long shots are the most fun anyway.

I must be a covert bastard because I have killed several coyotes inside 50 yards while hunting on the ground in the daytime. I've had them bed down literally 20 yards from me. They are smart, but it is easy to get within 50 yards or less from a coyote. At least it always has been for me. I killed one with a bow when I was 18-19 years old. The last one I killed was 10 yards with a .270 while I was sitting on the ground. All of of them were killed while I was deer hunting.

I missed one a couple months ago at maybe 80 yards. It was running and it was at night, but I shouldn't have missed.

I must be a covert bastard because I have killed several coyotes inside 50 yards while hunting on the ground in the daytime. I've had them bed down literally 20 yards from me. They are smart, but it is easy to get within 50 yards or less from a coyote. At least it always has been for me. I killed one with a bow when I was 18-19 years old. The last one I killed was 10 yards with a .270 while I was sitting on the ground. All of of them were killed while I was deer hunting.

I missed one a couple months ago at maybe 80 yards. It was running and it was at night, but I shouldn't have missed.

I agree.
I've have yotes walk up
To Me in broad daylight within 15 feet and never saw me standing there in my
Leafy camo.

My buddy uses the 22-250 with NV.

I agree.
I've have yotes walk up
To Me in broad daylight within 15 feet and never saw me standing there in my
Leafy camo.

My buddy uses the 22-250 with NV.

Most guys who have spent any significant time in the woods have had multiple encounters with coyotes. Mostly at closer ranges.

Back
Top Bottom