• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Critique & Input for My Initial Reloading Setup

Jayro

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
My goal is to ultimately produce consistent Match/ELD for 300 wm initially; & 6.5cm ammo. I wanted to get quality equipment that would enhance efficiency without sacrificing accuracy/precision...'buy once, cry once'. I'm undecided on my case prep (trimming, chamfer, deburr, etc)... I have entertained the purchase of the expensive giraud or the Frankford Aresenal trim & prep center. Additionally I haven't researched enough to choose my method to clean (tumbler, steel media, ultrasonic) and ultimately anneal. Regardless any input, recommendations, and advice would be greatly appreciated. Beyond the Lee, Lyman, and Hornady manuals I have turned to YouTube/forums/friends for a wealth of info that I'm jumping into head rather than feet first.

Forster Co-Ax press
Redding Body Die
Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die
Forster Ultra Micrometer Bullet Seater
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Powder Dispenser
GemPro 250 Scale
Trickler
Forster Long Drop Tube Funnel
Hornady Bullet Comparator Set
Hornady OAL Guage
L.E. Wilson Adjustable Headspace Gauge
Mitutoyo Digital Caliper
Frankford Aresenal Reloading Trays

Heck of start as far as equipment! If you shoot any straight case pistol, that's a good way to start reloading as they are easier than bottleneck and or taper. Im assuming from your post you have not reloaded.

Anyway, I like full length resizing on all my cases, but some guys like to neck only.

I also like to stay at the lower end or middle of powder charge to lengthen case life on target rounds, but that may be secondary for you if you are doing precision.

On a new load I start just over what the chart says( btw I trust the powder mfr charts first) as minimum and load a few rounds at that as well as medium, and closer to but never over the max and try them all at that first test to see how they do. Saves trips to the range and tells me how well that projectile weight and type perform.

Its a blast (pun intended) to load your own and see it perform well.

I could go on and on but you asked for opinions not a book.....

We are DYE HARD DILLON / RCBS users, however check out and usually do not like nor has the service or help been there for us on
HORNADY, however THE HORNADY LOCK AND LOAD powder dispenser is the CATS meow, for great powder dispensing. We have (4)
and they have performed flawlessly. By checking around you will find sales on them for as low as $169.99 , BASS PRO, CABELA'S, GANDER MOUNTAIN, WILL PRICE MATCH!! Use it to your advantage.

Before buying any reloading manuals, try to have a good idea of what bullet, and the manufacturer you are going to use, then and only then start buying manuals, Speer, BARNES, NOSLER,HORNADY, etc. but only if you are going to use their bullets.

Remember all loading books have allowed powder manufacturers to help pay for the manuals by their advertising of their powders, loads, and velocities.

Loading manuals, are a reloaders tool very important tools, use all data with caution, and respect by being diligent in your loading it will pay you many times with the successful tested results.

Dillon Progressive presses are hands down the best made and will demand top dollar. Now let us add this when loading for accuracy .001 accuracy use the RCBS ROCK CHUCKER PRESS. Yes we use Dillon presses and love our ours and use them daily.

Brass trimmer, we use the full size Giraud Trimmer, the small trimmer is ok, however we will process 500 pieces of brass over a 4 - 5 day time period. That's brass cleaning, re-sizing, primer removal, case trimming, then powder dispensing, and finally seating the bullets.

May all your shots be IN THE 10X RING......(;>)

Hope you will enjoy your new found passion as we have for more than 45 years...

The guys on here are very seasoned and can offer you so much of a treasure of knowledge, so may you always reach out because these guys are great....

Heck of start as far as equipment! If you shoot any straight case pistol, that's a good way to start reloading as they are easier than bottleneck and or taper. Im assuming from your post you have not reloaded.

Anyway, I like full length resizing on all my cases, but some guys like to neck only.

I also like to stay at the lower end or middle of powder charge to lengthen case life on target rounds, but that may be secondary for you if you are doing precision.

On a new load I start just over what the chart says( btw I trust the powder mfr charts first) as minimum and load a few rounds at that as well as medium, and closer to but never over the max and try them all at that first test to see how they do. Saves trips to the range and tells me how well that projectile weight and type perform.

Its a blast (pun intended) to load your own and see it perform well.

I could go on and on but you asked for opinions not a book.....
way to go BROtato!

Like Yote said and how precision do you want to be? Are you going to turn necks on case's? You will have to FL size after 2 or 3 firing's when neck sizing only. Brfore I would use a Lee collet neck die,I would use a Redding neck bushing die and Redding competition micrometer seater,they are easier to see IMO and I use them and get very concentric ammo.Also precision ammo comes from quality components such as brass,bullets ETC.I load for quite a few different calibers and have two 6.5 creeds and am fixing to start another we were shooting consistent groups with them Saturday at 1025 yards mentioning just a few things listed above.

Loaded some 45 70 with 300 grain hps and 3 different powders with varying loads. Here are a few .
Tapered case BTW, they look straight but aren't.
IMG_20160207_211450.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have already stockpiled some hornady brass, H4350 powder, and Hornady ELD 208 gr bullets. I also decided to go with the Frankford Aresenal case prep center but may get the Giraud if I ultimately load larger amounts of ammo. I think I will ultrasonic clean then incorporate a dry media tumbler. Now time to measure and determine my chamber/COAL.

My goal is to ultimately produce consistent Match/ELD for 300 wm initially; & 6.5cm ammo. I wanted to get quality equipment that would enhance efficiency without sacrificing accuracy/precision...'buy once, cry once'. I'm undecided on my case prep (trimming, chamfer, deburr, etc)... I have entertained the purchase of the expensive giraud or the Frankford Aresenal trim & prep center. Additionally I haven't researched enough to choose my method to clean (tumbler, steel media, ultrasonic) and ultimately anneal. Regardless any input, recommendations, and advice would be greatly appreciated. Beyond the Lee, Lyman, and Hornady manuals I have turned to YouTube/forums/friends for a wealth of info that I'm jumping into head rather than feet first.

Forster Co-Ax press
Redding Body Die
Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die
Forster Ultra Micrometer Bullet Seater
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Powder Dispenser
GemPro 250 Scale
Trickler
Forster Long Drop Tube Funnel
Hornady Bullet Comparator Set
Hornady OAL Guage
L.E. Wilson Adjustable Headspace Gauge
Mitutoyo Digital Caliper
Frankford Aresenal Reloading Trays

I do not shoot matches. I make ammunition for my hunting rifles. Here are my comments:
You will like the Forester Co-Ax. I use it on a portable wooding stand. It is portable to take to a range. I also use one of those mechanic tool boxes that I can take to the range. Everything can fit inside. I have spent lots of money and time over the past few years with this hobby. I feel portability can save you money and frustration. I would suggest you be able to load at a rifle range. I am fortunate enough to use my buddies farm. This will save you time developing your loads.
(1) I prefer a beam/scale with check weights. I use the RCBS 505. (I have the Chargemaster also).
(2) Quality Powder Measure. I use the Redding.
(3) Case trimmer. I prefer the sinclair wilson case trimmer. (I have the Lee and Forster also).
(4) I am not partial to any method to clean brass. But I use the tumbler with stainless steel media the most.
(5) I eventually bought a caldwell lead sled to help steady my shooting.

Back
Top Bottom