• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cryptic Coatings BCG

Just in case anyone ain't thought of it, you can clean your BCG pretty quickly with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It makes quick work of all but the hardest crusty baked on carbon, and soaks into the hard stuff and comes off pretty easily afterwards. It will requite oiling as it strips off all of it, back down to the phosphate on standard BCGs. I'd think twice before using it on these fancy schmancy coatings.

When I'm gonna clean my barrel, I put the BCG in an old plastic jar and give it a hosing down with brak-kleen and let it sit while I do barrel work. When I'm done with the barrel, the BCG just needs some more brak-kleen to get off the residual and relubed.

If it ain't broke....

Nothing wrong with looking for a better mousetrap. That's what the entire history of firearms development has been. Ways to load faster, less fouling, kill faster/more reliably/further away, make them bigger/smaller/lighter/heavier, etc.

If folks followed that maxim, none of us would know who Sam Colt or JM Browning were!

Nothing wrong with looking for a better mousetrap. That's what the entire history of firearms development has been. Ways to load faster, less fouling, kill faster/more reliably/further away, make them bigger/smaller/lighter/heavier, etc.

If folks followed that maxim, none of us would know who Sam Colt or JM Browning were!

I've done the Nickel Boron thing and got rid of it. It wasn't much easier to clean and looked pretty bad after the first use honestly. Maybe Cryptic has finally figured it out. The OP is getting rid of a DD BCG, which is arguably one of the better ones available. I understand innovation, but it seems unnecessary here other than the bling-bling factor.

I've done the Nickel Boron thing and got rid of it. It wasn't much easier to clean and looked pretty bad after the first use honestly. Maybe Cryptic has finally figured it out. The OP is getting rid of a DD BCG, which is arguably one of the better ones available. I understand innovation, but it seems unnecessary here other than the bling-bling factor.

My VDI BCG replaced the stock DD BCG in my primary carbine.

I was sent the unit to do a T&E on. I didn't care about the coatings, it was the integral BCG that intrigued me. After running the VDI BCG for a while, I liked it enough to buy it from VDI.

No, my DDM4 doesn't run better with the new BCG, but the integral gas key is one less thing to worry about, and the LifeCoat finish does make clean up noticeably easier. I've got close to 3,000 rounds on the VDI BCG so far. No malfunctions, no issues, and no appreciable wear on the LifeCoat finish.

I'm not telling anyone to replace your perfectly good BCG with the VDI, but if you have a BCG that DOES need replaced, or you are looking at a new build, I highly recommend it.

It's not uncommon for me to go 1,000rds + between BCG cleanings, depending on what the schedule calls for.

Don't judge all coatings by a single NiB experience. Don't even judge NiB by a single experience, as all NiB coatings aren't the same. Some companies do it better than others.

That's like swearing off automative paint after having one of your cars painted by Maaco!

Back
Top Bottom