• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Curious where people draw the line money wise when it comes to care for your dog?

Biggest bill so far was $900 for an infected ear on our Catahoula mix female we were told to "adopt" :cool: from my oldest step daughters family when we moved up here. She lived to 14 and has been gone about 2 years. Still miss her.
Like most everyone else, pretty much whatever it takes. My dogs all mean the world to me and my wife knows it.

Also, I will never take another dog to the UGA vet school. They wanted $3,000.00 for the same treatment our vet did for the $900

Knowing that Vets use the love people have for their animals against them to convince them to do cancer treatments, diabetic shots, dialysis and many more treatments normally performed on humans.

Where do you draw the line at?
$500
$1000
$2000
$4000
$5000
$10000+

I personally spent $1500 on a dog that was a 8yr old family pet. He died anyway.
At least you tried!!!!

We spent probably $10000 plus over a couple of years on our Schnauzer many years ago

Long story , kids gone no grandkids yet , me gone working half the time

We would not again , not just $ but you have to know when it’s time to let go.

However I have a story. Circa 2007 we had said Schnauzer at Auburn veterinary school , intensive care…

A lady , customer had. Standard poodle there. She had two , Coco and Chanel

They lived in Mississippi, Coco was bitten by a big Timber Rattler
She helicopters him to Auburn saving his life

$$$&$&&

We spent probably $10000 plus over a couple of years on our Schnauzer many years ago

Long story , kids gone no grandkids yet , me gone working half the time

We would not again , not just $ but you have to know when it’s time to let go.

However I have a story. Circa 2007 we had said Schnauzer at Auburn veterinary school , intensive care…

A lady , customer had. Standard poodle there. She had two , Coco and Chanel

They lived in Mississippi, Coco was bitten by a big Timber Rattler
She helicopters him to Auburn saving his life

$$$&$&&
A few of my more expensive vets bills over the years where due to snake bite but I never considered an airlift.

I have personally spent 4k a piece on two different dogs (one just about two months ago) to get cross cruciate ligaments repaired so they could walk again. If you would have asked me 30 years ago, I would have refused to pay more than the cost of a vet visit but, our dogs are part of the family. When I see my pup in pain, I feel just like I do when one of my kids or my wife is in pain. Money is important, no doubt, and if it came to my wife and kids eating or getting my dog an expensive treatment, I would ALWAYS choose them first but...money is just a means to an end, it comes and it goes. I can't imagine a life without our dogs, we've lost some over the years, and they ALL left a hole when they were gone, but I can tell you this, the house never felt the same when it was empty, it just didn't feel like home without our pups.

All I know is I'd spend a lot of money to spend a few more days with my big guy. He was worth more to me than anything I've ever spent money on.

IMG_8412.jpeg
IMG_20201129_171959_Original.jpeg
IMG_8411.jpeg
IMG_8410.jpeg

My wife's dog which is her shadow has diabetes we { I } spend about $150 a month on the dog. Initially he was a free dog a friend had it when it was a puppy. It had cherry eye. He couldn't afford to have it fixed and was taking it to the pound. So we took him. He said the Vet would fix it for about $200.00. Well that turned out to be $1300.00. Morale of the story never take a free dog. They're never free.

Back
Top Bottom