• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Curious where people draw the line money wise when it comes to care for your dog?

Here's a story for you.

A buddy of mine and his wife adopted a rescue cat. Cat cost $5. Required to be spayed on adoption. Said cat got sick. The wife took it to the vet at UGA vet school. $5000 later the stray cat was cured. A few weeks later my buddy came home from work and the cat ran out the door. He tried to catch it but as it never liked him it just ran further away. He went home figuring the cat would come back. Wrong! Cat was ran over and killed. Wife blamed him for the cat's demise. Physically attacked him. Led to police being called. She filed for divorce! He spent a fortune on attorneys fees. Still had to pay alimony. Don't know the final cost but I do know it all started with a $5 cat. 😂

Moral of the story- stray p**** can cost you dearly.

Cats are not dogs.
That is true. But I have cats especially one that we have spent more money on than we have on our own medical care in the last three years. Nothing outrageous but definitely around the thousand dollar range. But what am I supposed to do? Squeaky is my bottom bitch. She been with me longer than any of the rest of them.

If you search back through older threads you MIGHT find my thread about my older daughter's Husky having an emergency C section to birth Pitbull puppies. It wound up as an episode of Critter Fixers that I didn't approve of. Anyway both my daughters were in it. The vet did a **** sorry job and sent the mother home the same day. She had to have more staples two days later. She died at the Houston Co Vet ER the following Sunday. My wife bottle fed the surviving three puppies for about two weeks. It was just like having newborns in the house. I got really lucky and adopted those puppies to members here.
But the point here is I paid for an emergency C section along with another vet visit for more staples that I shouldn't have had to pay for. Then I paid for a visit to the vet ER where the mother died anyway. So...I'm NOT cool with most vets.

I hope I never have to find out what my threshold is. So far in routine care, boarding and acquisition I have about $2800 in these two.

Attachments

• IMG_3664.jpeg
    IMG_3664.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 12
as I get older I realize there are few things as great as a quick clean death. I read a book titled being mortal with my dad before he passed. Part of it is the perspective of a doctor who often gave advice about aging sick parents and how it changed when it was his dad. Doctors and onlookers often think more about how can we than should we. Pain illness aging and death can be hard making it fun takes preparation and practice. Most people have one opinion from the onlookers perspective and a very different opinion when they love the one that is dead or dying.

If you search back through older threads you MIGHT find my thread about my older daughter's Husky having an emergency C section to birth Pitbull puppies. It wound up as an episode of Critter Fixers that I didn't approve of. Anyway both my daughters were in it. The vet did a **** sorry job and sent the mother home the same day. She had to have more staples two days later. She died at the Houston Co Vet ER the following Sunday. My wife bottle fed the surviving three puppies for about two weeks. It was just like having newborns in the house. I got really lucky and adopted those puppies to members here.
But the point here is I paid for an emergency C section along with another vet visit for more staples that I shouldn't have had to pay for. Then I paid for a visit to the vet ER where the mother died anyway. So...I'm NOT cool with most vets.
As unfortunate as that situation was it resulted in some good pups we love very much. It's about time for an update photo, so here's one from yesterday.

IMG_8364.jpg

Back
Top Bottom