• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dads wisdom...

God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason,Liston twice as much as you talk.
A man is no better than his word
Nobody owes you a dam thing,if you gonna have something you got to work for it.
He passed in 1994 cancer miss him everyday

Not my dad, but my mom, “know your job, and do it well, you’ll never have to kiss anyone’s ass”.
She was a lifetime civil service employee who lived by that motto.
I took it to heart and it served me well during my working career.

And he said, "Son, this world is rough
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough
And I knew I wouldn't be there to help you along
So I give you that name, and I said goodbye
And I knew you'd have to get tough or die
It's that name that helped to make you strong"

He said, "Now you just fought one heck of a fight
And I know you hate me, and you got the right to kill me now
And I wouldn't blame you if you do
But you ought to thank me, before I die
For the gravel in ya gut and the spit in ya eye
'Cause I'm the f_ that named you Sue"

Mine said "its as easy to love a rich woman as it is to love a poor one" and "Lovin don't last, cooking do". He also said "Son, you ain't got the sense God gave to a pissant", usually right before he slapped me upside the head. He was about 6'3", 250 lbs, and none of it fat. I saw him in his 50's take a new horseshoe in his hands and straighten it out. Ex bare knuks boxer, could move his huge hands faster than you could see them, you first indication of a problem was when the wall stopped you, a slap from him would pick you up off your feet. He died at 95, I always said "the good Lord didn't want him, and the Devil couldn't take the competition." Not entirely in jest.

My Dad , his brother and a brother-in-law were bricklayers. There is a tremendous amount of bending over for bricks and mortar involved in the trade as well as staying bent over for days to bring a wall up to a comfortable height. He always told me that you only have so many bends in your back, don't waste 'em. I laid brick for 35 years, tried to remember this every day. He was right. They are gone now, but the memory is strong.

"If the boy wants a Beer, give him a damn Beer, he's 4 years old now, he can handle it!" Fred Pilcher 1914-1954 (afterwards, my Mother hit my Dad in the back of the head..)

"If the boy wants a Beer, give him a damn Beer, he's 4 years old now, he can handle it!" Fred Pilcher 1914-1954 (afterwards, my Mother hit my Dad in the back of the head..)
LOL…
my uncle gave me my first sip of PBR at about that same age. I still remember how bitter it tasted.

Back
Top Bottom