• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Day 1 Rifle Reloading

Openspaces

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
79   0
Reaction score
Long story short i wanted a custom rifle and ammo that I knew were better than my ability. Picked up the rifle a couple months ago and finally had all my reloading gear ready for a trial run.

Loaded my first 20 rounds today and will be heading out tomorrow to see how they shoot. Admittedly I did have a lot of help as my buddy (different state) worked up the loads and had an identical gun. I shot almost the same load (his reloads) so hoping they shoot the same when I reload them.

This took me 3.5 hours based on the multple measurements and even double checking the charge weights on a second scale.

Attachments

• 17ADAC56-0429-4A4E-8FA4-815E2EBFB1CF.jpeg
    17ADAC56-0429-4A4E-8FA4-815E2EBFB1CF.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 7BED4E14-B395-49A8-AA91-217EA848D539.jpeg
    7BED4E14-B395-49A8-AA91-217EA848D539.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 38
Looks like a good start.
Two warnings; its higly addictive, and dangerous. Safety first!
keep us posted

As for safety, I fully agree. Thus the double scales for powder charges. The addictive issue is creeping in already. Went to the range with the pic being the first 5 shots @100yd with a “first round… hope this doesn’t blow up/flinch.”

Had a non shooter/buddy there so didn’t take my time but this and the balance of the shots confirmed enough for me to load up a 100 or so more. Now I need to stock pile components.

Attachments

• 1F3367BC-CC51-4922-ABE5-5066C220F0CB.jpeg
    1F3367BC-CC51-4922-ABE5-5066C220F0CB.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 26
Yep, when you are new, if you are wise, you are very paranoid. May have even closed your eyes on the 1st shot. But paying attention to detail is a good thing. As you build on your loading, you will gain confidence in what you are capable of, what is safe and unsafe and will become more comfortable. Just always be aware of your components. And always wear safety glasses when handling powder, primers and actually loading.

Great results! Keep it up. Be careful, you will want to make all your guns do that, and you will likely fail with that endeavor....all are not capable.

Rosewood

As for safety, I fully agree. Thus the double scales for powder charges. The addictive issue is creeping in already. Went to the range with the pic being the first 5 shots @100yd with a “first round… hope this doesn’t blow up/flinch.”

Had a non shooter/buddy there so didn’t take my time but this and the balance of the shots confirmed enough for me to load up a 100 or so more. Now I need to stock pile components.
And so it begins..lol

Welcome to the addiction. New loader myself and I can tell you my first 100 rounds took the better parts of about 3 hours on a progressive loading 9mm. A lot of double-checking powder drops, primers, lengths, weighing finished rounds, and what not. After about 1500 rounds of 9 and 38spl, I'm trusting the equipment and powder cop. Rifle is up shortly on the single stage; but I have specs on my 6.5CM to load to for my gun.

Nice start! What load are you starting at. Powder? Projectile gr.? These two I am super curious about. I don't load that cartridge but like the info for future reference.

Nice start! What load are you starting at. Powder? Projectile gr.? These two I am super curious about. I don't load that cartridge but like the info for future reference.
This is what I shot the above with but verify load/safety data before loading or shooting in your setup.

Berger VLD Target 140
Hodgdon H4350 41.8
CCI SRP
LAPUA brass

Loaded another 80rds today, hoping to get out next week. By far the most monotonous task was hand chamfering the brass. If anyone has a recommendation on a decent power option let me know.

I just bought a good bit of 6.8spc hunting loads. I still have loads I haven't even sat down and tested. I think this coming Thursday I am going to test some 6.8 loads with AA2200 I have. I am also going to get into some .308 loading. Just need a set of dies and projectiles. I honestly believe every prepper on this continent is hording reloading supplies. It's hard to find good hunting/ defense dual purpose rounds in a lot of calibers. Especially the proven powders like 8208 XBR and 4350 and Varget. Those seem to elude me. At least in the sites I am looking at.

Back
Top Bottom