• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting with a 223

Buckhead

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
92   0
Reaction score
Question: Does anyone hunt deer with a 223? I'm sure you would need to be inside of 100 yards or so but I would love to try my AR this coming season. What ammo should be used if doing so? Thanks for any input.

Ive never hunted deer with one, but I would'nt hesitate to. I killed two pigs with a .223 so I dont see why it would'nt work on deer also. Just be sure to use the right ammo. I used a 60 grain Nosler Partition they penatrate and they make some nice holes!

I have shot them at night in a field (yes with a permit) up to probably 100 to 150 yards with no problems. Head or neck shots with no problems with ballistic tip ammo.

Did when I had my Ar and they dropped right there.....Come to think of it I have only had one deer run period, ever and it was only 20 or so yards....I really don't get it when people say they ran 100-200 yards, gets me wondering where on earth they shot the deer...No matter what I shot them with from little .223 to .45-70, most deer with 7.62x39, they have always just dropped where they were hit....

Here is a pic of a 3 point i shot with a 223 he was about 40 yards never moved used a 55 grain v max it is all about shot placement

Attachments

• 3 point 052.jpg
    3 point 052.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 175
Back
Top Bottom