• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting with a 223

I have shot a lot of deer in the head and neck area.I shoot alot during the year at targets and feel confident with my ability to place a shot where I want it or not take the shot if I don't feel good about it.I use a monopod for shots off the ground or a rest when in the tree.Good site picture,let out half a breath,SQUEEZE the trigger.

I believe that any good expanding projectile is gonna take em down with the right shot placement .....nosler,hornady,rem corlock ....

Probably will toate mine a few times this year as well ;)

I'll step up and take the contrary position. Will a .223 kill a deer? No doubt. Is it one of the best tools for the job. No. I do not doubt the folks on this forum have killed deer with it, but you cannot tell how effective it is with only the "success" stories.

Precise shots will work with just about anything, but there are plenty of readily available calibers that have been proven for years to be not only effective at killing whitetails but even have a little extra, just in case the shot is not perfect.

Some super-experts might be so good they "never" fail with a .223. Personally, I pick my hunting caliber/firearm based on the worse end of my range of abilities not my best.

I submit this to you; If the .223 was a proven effective tool for constantly and humanly harvesting deer, you would know it to be true and not have to ask the question.

To borrow a phrase from a friend who harvests a lot of whitetails...deer are just begging to be shot with a caliber starting with '30'. I know my dad would agree with him...he's never failed to drop one yet with his trusty 30-06.

That being said...a 22 Mag will take a dear with the perfect shot. Would I use it? No. Same pretty much for the .223. Not my favorite caliber...lots better choices out there. I'm going 25-06 for my next one...I'd deal with being old fashioned and not going with the short action craze.

A 62 grain Barnes TSX is great.

As for shooting them in the head, I don't like that idea. If you miss forward at all you hit them in the face and nothing vital is hit. They die slow and painfully because they can no longer eat or drink properly. Just a thought.

A poorly placed shot at the vitals could also render a wounded deer to suffer being eaten alive from the hind legs forward by yotes. Just another thought. I shoot a 180 grian 300 win mag, and I still shoot them in the head, but I have plenty of other options if the head does not produce a clear shot or if its a mountable buck.

It can be done, especially on the small deer around here.

Federal Fusion, anything with the Barnes TSX and the Winchester Power Point 64gr are all good bullets.

Back
Top Bottom