• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer hunting with turkey choke

75S216E

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
11   0
Reaction score
Has anyone ever shot buckshot through a turkey choke and if so, is it bad for the gun and is it accurate enough to deer hunt?

rifled slugs are good out of a smooth bore, that's actually what they are designed for. Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels.

Thanks for the info. I have a stand that the deer walk out about 25 yards from and I want to hunt it with a shotgun but all I have is a 12 gauge Mossberg Turkey Thug. It came with a screw-in turkey choke. I guess I should take it to the range and see what the spread looks like with buckshot.

Thanks for the info. I have a stand that the deer walk out about 25 yards from and I want to hunt it with a shotgun but all I have is a 12 gauge Mossberg Turkey Thug. It came with a screw-in turkey choke. I guess I should take it to the range and see what the spread looks like with buckshot.

You will better off with a rifled slug. You will be much more consistent and you will know where the shot is going to hit.

I would remove the turkey choke for shooting buckshot too, a modified or improved choke will work the best with buck shot, some manufacturers don't warn against shooting buckshot with their chokes in and some do. No problem for the info.

If you are using a large pellet buckshot (#0 or larger), the pellets typically do not act like a fluid. They act as a solid. That means rather than constricting the pattern, like water out of a hose, they have a tendency to bounce off of each other as they move through the choke. This causes large and unpredictable patterns. The best choke for buckshot it actually cylinder. This is why the vast majority (if not all) HD shotguns with a fixed choke use cylinder.

As for removing the choke completely, that's a very bad idea. It will destroy the threads in the barrel.

You're also much better off with an open choke for slugs. You should be able to get one for about the same cost as a box of good shotgun shells.

If you are using a large pellet buckshot (#0 or larger), the pellets typically do not act like a fluid. They act as a solid. That means rather than constricting the pattern, like water out of a hose, they have a tendency to bounce off of each other as they move through the choke. This causes large and unpredictable patters. The best choke for buckshot it actually cylinder. This is why the vast majority (if not all) HD shotguns with a fixed choke use cylinder.

As for removing the choke completely, that's a very bad idea. It will destroy the threads in the barrel.

Would Academy Sports carry modified and cylinder chokes?

Back
Top Bottom