• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

deer rifle?

Been using a Model 70 Winchester in .243 for MANY years. It has always put them down 1 shot 1 kill. Now if I where Hunting heavy brush or shorter ranges, then I would go to a 30-30 or even a 44 mag. So it depends mostly on the Area and what type of hunting your gonna be doing.

.338 Win Mag. Drops them like lightening hit em. No tracking, no blood trail, no trouble. I have never had one take a step. A lot of it is shot placement I know, but I like to leave no doubt that if I do my job properly, I can plant them where I want. Versatile round too. Can go distance and has density and power to push through brush. My secondary calibers are .358 Win Mag and 30-06. Both produce excellent results. If I am hunting waaaaaayyyyyyyyy long I bring out the .300 weatherby.

I've used a .243 and a Marlin 336 in .30-30 for most of my career.

I added a Marlin 1894c (.357 mag) in the last few years.

Yes, they are just as dead when shot with this one.

30-06, Savage 116 with a 3-9x40 Leupold.
Cant beat it, There are many reasons a 30-06 with a 3-9x40 is the most popular combo in the country and has been for many years.
Lots of deer appropriate calibers on hand but this one is my favorite.

.270 or 7mm mag...both in Browning A bolt. But, I haven't actually hunted deer since the late 80s. Thinking about taking it back up since my next door neighbor now is the Chattahoochee national forest.

Browning BAR .270 for the past 25 years or so. I have others but I prefer Ol' Trusty.

.270 A Bolt for me-
Every time that gun is fired at something with fur or hide, the animal lays down where it was standing and when I walk to it, somehow it has expired?...
Never have figured it out

Back
Top Bottom