• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Defense against 2 or more

Mtber1172

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
13   0
Reaction score
Let's say you're walking out of a store, heading to your car and a small group of guys head in your direction. They make general small talk, asking for a ride or for some change, but when you say you can't/won't, then they start to act a little more pushy and aggressive verbally. If they somehow get you cornered or get you into a position where you can't get in your car and drive off, can you legally pull your gun? Is physical contact needed before you could draw your weapon to scare them off?

I know there's a "stand your ground" law, but in such a scenario, what are the chances you'd face prosecution if you had to pull your gun? Especially if none of them had weapons, but you were fearful for your life?

If you are genuinely in fear for your life, do what's necessary. If you are outnumbered and getting g cornered and Genuinely in fear for your life, or greater bodily injury/forcible felony and are drawing to stay ahead of the power curve, then you have to articulate that to police. They may not have weapons, you don't know that. But they have capability. If drawing diffuses the situation but law is called, you need to explain to the officers that you were cornered, outnumbered, in fear, and they failed to leave you alone after verbal commands. You may still need an attorney, but as long as you in no way antagonized the situation, you should have a case. However I am not a lawyer, and those that are assume a great liability in free legal advice.

I believe what you are wondering about is disparity of force which is part of the "reasonable man doctrine".

The court does not expect you to fight someone who has superior "force" or "ability".
For example, the court does not expect one man to fight multiple attackers, or for an older, weaker man to fight a younger, stronger man, or for a man to fight someone armed w/ a weapon capable of causing death or grave bodily injury, or for a woman to fight a man..... etc, etc.
Any of those scenarios would not be considered "reasonable" due to the opposing party having greater force or ability than a single man.

In the scenario mentioned above the method you mentioned is one of several predatory techniques that criminals employ (that specific one is often referred to as "boundary testing" or "the interview" where they use a ruse to get danger close to attack/ control their "prey")
Two sayings often heard in the training community are, "Distance favors the trained shooter" & "Proximity negates skill".

You should not let people you don't know too close to you (depending somewhat on environmental factors).

The short answer is what are the three justifiable occasions for use of deadly force per O.C.G.A. code 16-3-21?

You do not have to wait till they put their hands on you but you will have to explain to an investigator & possibly in the courtroom why you could not use any other option but had to use lethal force or the threat of it.

Although a comman side effect of drawing a weapon is for the attacker to disengage (which is a win in my opinion), I would not recommend drawing it unless you are prepared to use it.
When you draw it you have possibly now put them in fear of their life & a fight to the death may ensue.

Last edited:
Drawing your weapon, pointing your weapon, and firing you weapon are all three very different things. Each officer has discretion to handle "most" situations as he sees fit. If you convinced me that you needed to show or point your weapon without firing, your going home. If you can't convince me, you get arrested. A different officer may handle it differently. If you fire off some rounds, hit or miss, you will most likely take a ride to talk to some detectives before you are released or charged.

If it results in going to court, your guess is as good as the next guy's on the outcome. Even as an officer, we get put on administrative leave after a shooting while it's investigated. If found to be a valid shooting, it then goes to the Grand Jury twice to give the citizens a chance to say it was valid. If it gets called a "bad" shooting, we get charged and tried.

Sorry, I really cannot tell you how to handle it. Every situation is different and viewed differently. Just look at the post on this site and try to find 12 members that all have the same opinion. Everyone of us are potential jury members, including me. I've been called twice in the last 6 years for jury duty. Good luck.

Tell them, before they get to you, to stop. Put your hands up in front of you(this looks defensive on camera or by witnesses). If they keep coming yell to stop and back off.

If after you do all that(assuming you have time to) they keep coming that tells you a lot about their intentions.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/reference-how-forum/129158-dealing-pests.html this is a very long, but very good article written by Randy Harris, a instructor I have a lot of respect for.

Tell them, before they get to you, to stop. Put your hands up in front of you(this looks defensive on camera or by witnesses). If they keep coming yell to stop and back off.

If after you do all that(assuming you have time to) they keep coming that tells you a lot about their intentions.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/reference-how-forum/129158-dealing-pests.html this is a very long, but very good article written by Randy Harris, a instructor I have a lot of respect for.

Randy is a friend of mine & one of just a few that I will recommend.
Our classes have a great deal of the same content, as we figured out in our discsussions & from students who had taken both our classes at P.M. & those of S.I.

We've been talking about having him down to our range to do a guest Instructor class.
If you want I can let you know when we get it put together.

Last edited:
I believe what you are wondering about is disparity of force which is part of the "reasonable man doctrine".

The court does not expect you to fight someone who has superior "force" or "ability".
For example, the court does not expect one man to fight multiple attackers, or for an older, weaker man to fight a younger, stronger man, or for a man to fight someone armed w/ a weapon capable of causing death or grave bodily injury, or for a woman to fight a man..... etc, etc.
Any of those scenarios would not be considered "reasonable" due to the opposing party having greater force or ability than a single man.

In the scenario mentioned above the method you mentioned is one of several predatory techniques that criminals employ (that specific one is often referred to as "boundary testing" or "the interview" where they use a ruse to get danger close to attack/ control their "prey")
Two sayings often heard in the training community are, "Distance favors the trained shooter" & "Proximity negates skill".

You should not let people you don't know too close to you (depending somewhat on environmental factors).

The short answer is what are the three justifiable occasions for use of deadly force per O.C.G.A. code 16-3-21?

You do not have to wait till they put their hands on you but you will have to explain to an investigator & possibly in the courtroom why you could not use any other option but had to use lethal force or the threat of it.

Although a comman side effect of drawing a weapon is for the attacker to disengage (which is a win in my opinion), I would not recommend drawing it unless you are prepared to use it.
When you draw it you have possibly now put them in fear of their life & a fight to the death may ensue.

I typed "disparity of force" but deleted the comment as I was unsure how to word my reply and not look like a tard or give poor information.

You explained it clearly and concisely sir.

When the spidey sense is going off, trust it, it's all too often spot on. Don't be a deer in head lights. Watch your 3-9 as it's the guy that you don't see that will end you that the other/s are distracting you from. Once they realize a victim has fangs, all too often they cease and desist to pick easier prey without a shot ever being fired the majority of the time.

Always call (911) these confrontations in or the tables may be turned against you and now you are the aggressor.

I would just give them a ride or any change I had the first time they asked. What happens next is on their heads.

Randy is a friend of mine & one of just a few that I will recommend.
Our classes have a great deal of the same content, as we figured out in our discsussions & from students who had taken both our classes at P.M. & those of S.I.

We've been talking about having him down to our range to do a guest Instructor class.
If you want I can let you know when we get it put together.

Yeah sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom