• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

He deserved more...

I concur with almost everything you’re saying.

But remember this:
His punishment on this Earth pales in comparison to the absolute hell he will endure for eternity.

That makes me sleep a little better at night and helps me to ditch the feelings of vengeance.

What if…

What if several years ago while he was in prison, he was baptized in the name of the Lord where he trusted Jesus with the forgiveness of all his sins and promised to follow Him all the days of his life?

Would the fact his spirit ascended and he now sits in the Glory of Heaven change your mind?

I mean, who’s to say he didn’t repent in prison? We don’t know his story. If one believes in the Heaven and Hell of scripture, surely one believes in the Grace, Mercy and Forgiveness of Christ.

I don't really disagree personally with that, but it simply creates a huge amount of public attention when people imagine some guy who's been locked up for 15 years following multiple appeals, ends up flopping around on a gurney like a gaffed pike for 20 minutes. It's even worse when there's video and/or a minute-by-minute analysis on Twitter/X.

It gives them a lot of time to reflect on how they'd feel if they fell foul of the law. It has a certain power to dissuade them from committing those crimes, but increases their interest in making the death penalty a thing of the past.

If the purpose of execution is to maximize the suffering the prisoner experiences, then maybe we should be finding better ways to make an execution last days or weeks.
Understood.
The multiple appeals and long stays are stupid in my opinion. By impunity, I mean swift and just.

What if…

What if several years ago while he was in prison, he was baptized in the name of the Lord where he trusted Jesus with the forgiveness of all his sins and promised to follow Him all the days of his life?

Would the fact his spirit ascended and he now sits in the Glory of Heaven change your mind?

I mean, who’s to say he didn’t repent in prison? We don’t know his story. If one believes in the Heaven and Hell of scripture, surely one believes in the Grace, Mercy and Forgiveness of Christ.

I'm not religious, but it seems to me that the best thing to do is to get the prisoner up there in front of the Lord as quickly as possible and let Him render his judgment one way or the other.

I don't really disagree personally with that, but it simply creates a huge amount of public attention when people imagine some guy who's been locked up for 15 years following multiple appeals, ends up flopping around on a gurney like a gaffed pike for 20 minutes. It's even worse when there's video and/or a minute-by-minute analysis on Twitter/X.

It gives them a lot of time to reflect on how they'd feel if they fell foul of the law. It has a certain power to dissuade them from committing those crimes, but increases their interest in making the death penalty a thing of the past.

If the purpose of execution is to maximize the suffering the prisoner experiences, then maybe we should be finding better ways to make an execution last days or weeks.
Perhaps "public attention" at the courthouse square gallows is exactly what budding criminals need to see.............?
Perhaps violent criminals are entitled to the same amount of "humane treatment" they extend to their rape/murder victims?
For the more tender hearted members of our society, perhaps the victims or victims families would be allowed to ask for "humane mercy" if they so chose, then a death penalty could be moved from the gallows to a lethal injection or firing squad.

I'm not religious, but it seems to me that the best thing to do is to get the prisoner up there in front of the Lord as quickly as possible and let Him render his judgment one way or the other.

Yes, I like the State to do everything as quickly as possible. The government always acts in the best interest of the public and individual rights, and the faster they do things, the less likely they are to make mistakes. Permanent mistakes.

Perhaps "public attention" at the courthouse square gallows is exactly what budding criminals need to see.............?
Perhaps violent criminals are entitled to the same amount of "humane treatment" they extend to their rape/murder victims?
For the more tender hearted members of our society, perhaps the victims or victims families would be allowed to ask for "humane mercy" if they so chose, then a death penalty could be moved from the gallows to a lethal injection or firing squad.

While I’m personally against the death penalty, (no I’m not a soft liberal, I just don’t trust the government with that power) as long as our society uses it, I think the act should be quick and final. The cheapest, fastest way to accomplish that is the guillotine.

Back
Top Bottom