• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

He deserved more...

Perhaps "public attention" at the courthouse square gallows is exactly what budding criminals need to see.............?
Perhaps violent criminals are entitled to the same amount of "humane treatment" they extend to their rape/murder victims?
For the more tender hearted members of our society, perhaps the victims or victims families would be allowed to ask for "humane mercy" if they so chose, then a death penalty could be moved from the gallows to a lethal injection or firing squad.

But the objective is to stop capital punishment entirely.

Most criminals have no real self-reflection and are not particularly bright. If they do have some awareness that the guy who was just executed that might be them in 10 years time don't care because they typically have a time preference that leads them to make bad decisions because they want to live for today and don't give a sh*t about the future.

And that's my personal reservation concerning capital punishment - it doesn't seem to have much power to dissuade many criminals. (edit: like roydamnmercer roydamnmercer I am concerned also about granting government yet another power of life and death over the public)

That said, I'm pro-capital punishment because ultimately, there are people that should be removed to protect the public regardless.

And I agree - in a more just society, the citizenry wouldn't be so utterly programmed to be "civilized" and the wronged would have the ability to dictate the method of execution in accordance with their preferences. But the victims will never be allowed to interfere with "justice". They might make "poor choices".

The "tender hearted" members of our society are those swayed by the kind of news stories we have seen over the last few days, but the real objective here - not by "tender hearted" people (they're just useful idiots) - but by hard-nosed politicians who want to "advance" society in ways they prefer (and to the detriment of individualists like many of us).

While I’m personally against the death penalty, (no I’m not a soft liberal, I just don’t trust the government with that power) as long as our society uses it, I think the act should be quick and final. The cheapest, fastest way to accomplish that is the guillotine.

So now, all we're arguing about is the method? :)

So now, all we're arguing about is the method? :)
Yes and no 😉

But…

If I’m in a situation where I’m to be executed and they offer me a choice, I’ll take the guillotine. It’s literally the fastest most humane way to end a life but our backwards ass politics says it’s “cruel and unusual”. Second choice: large caliber round to the brain. Everything else is expensive and prone to too much error.

What if…

What if several years ago while he was in prison, he was baptized in the name of the Lord where he trusted Jesus with the forgiveness of all his sins and promised to follow Him all the days of his life?

Would the fact his spirit ascended and he now sits in the Glory of Heaven change your mind?

I mean, who’s to say he didn’t repent in prison? We don’t know his story. If one believes in the Heaven and Hell of scripture, surely one believes in the Grace, Mercy and Forgiveness of Christ.
If any extremely bad person has genuinely asked God’s forgiveness, then conventional teachings say that they will enjoy the Kingdom. But I can’t deny that when I get to heaven that I’ll be supremely disappointed if Ted Bundy is my next door neighbor.
There’s an awful lot of faith and religion that I don’t understand. I suspect you feel the same way. Honestly, the first thing I’ll ask God is “why do you allow children to suffer with cancer.”
I don’t forgive murderers, rapists, etc for their actions; I’ll never possess that much grace or be that learned a Christian. All that I can do is try to be a good man. I’ll trust God to make his own judgments.

What if…

What if several years ago while he was in prison, he was baptized in the name of the Lord where he trusted Jesus with the forgiveness of all his sins and promised to follow Him all the days of his life?

Would the fact his spirit ascended and he now sits in the Glory of Heaven change your mind?

I mean, who’s to say he didn’t repent in prison? We don’t know his story. If one believes in the Heaven and Hell of scripture, surely one believes in the Grace, Mercy and Forgiveness of Christ.
His salvation is between him and God! Man will arrange the meeting !

What if…

Maybe he did repent. Doesn’t erase the fact that he did the crime.
The Lord may forgive, the State doesn’t.

Back
Top Bottom