• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Define "truck gun"

2; the gun you will need and not have because "its in my truck"

Not gonna happen. I don't have a truck gun instead of my regular EDC. I have it for when I'm strapped into the seat with a seat belt; and can't easily access my EDC. The fact that I leave it in the truck doesn't mean I'm not armed when away from the truck.

The way "most people" use the term TRUCK GUN, I think they mean a cheap disposable gun that's better to be stored in the vehicle "just in case" than being left at home.
Such a gun doesn't deserve to be stored in a climate-controlled environment, kept in a padded case or gun sock, and locked in a safe.

I can see some value in having a dedicated "vehicle defense" gun that's bigger and deadlier for defense than the small concealed-carry pistol that you normally have with you anyway. And that's why sometimes I have an SKS in my vehicle. If the S.H.T.F. and I think I'm about to need to shoot something (out of my vehicle, not from within it), but I have 30 seconds to get ready for that, I'm going to leave my .38 snubby concealed and just go for the long gun. Twice the stopping power, twice the ammo capacity, and 10 times the effective range.

I can see the logic of having a big powerful handgun that holds a lot of ammo for WITHIN-THE-VEHICLE defense. Why limit yourself to your 8-round compact 9mm for defense against that carjacking crew when you can reach in the glove box for the 17-round 9mm or 15-round .40 caliber?

If your vehicle is always loaded with hunting, camping, and survival gear for a "bug out" situation, then maybe your vehicle should also have a hunting rifle and/or shotgun for survival, to both hunt for food and to protect yourself from threats at a distance.

BUT I AGREE that leaving a loaded and working firearm in a parked, unattended vehicle is risky, both to you and to the rest of society. Plenty of criminals get their guns this way. Guns stolen from parked cars is a major source of the weapons that robbers and killers obtain on the black market.

my truck gun is my M92 Pap. Either with 2x30rd mags coupled or a 75rd drum...when SHTF, I want a rifle caliber with high capacity over a pistol any day..just me though. But, as NWSharpshooter, dont leave it in your car to be stolen & later used in a crime
You keep the the bolt held open with the notch on the safety?

The way "most people" use the term TRUCK GUN, I think they mean a cheap disposable gun that's better to be stored in the vehicle "just in case" than being left at home.
Such a gun doesn't deserve to be stored in a climate-controlled environment, kept in a padded case or gun sock, and locked in a safe.

I can see some value in having a dedicated "vehicle defense" gun that's bigger and deadlier for defense than the small concealed-carry pistol that you normally have with you anyway. And that's why sometimes I have an SKS in my vehicle. If the S.H.T.F. and I think I'm about to need to shoot something (out of my vehicle, not from within it), but I have 30 seconds to get ready for that, I'm going to leave my .38 snubby concealed and just go for the long gun. Twice the stopping power, twice the ammo capacity, and 10 times the effective range.

I can see the logic of having a big powerful handgun that holds a lot of ammo for WITHIN-THE-VEHICLE defense. Why limit yourself to your 8-round compact 9mm for defense against that carjacking crew when you can reach in the glove box for the 17-round 9mm or 15-round .40 caliber?

If your vehicle is always loaded with hunting, camping, and survival gear for a "bug out" situation, then maybe your vehicle should also have a hunting rifle and/or shotgun for survival, to both hunt for food and to protect yourself from threats at a distance.

BUT I AGREE that leaving a loaded and working firearm in a parked, unattended vehicle is risky, both to you and to the rest of society. Plenty of criminals get their guns this way. Guns stolen from parked cars is a major source of the weapons that robbers and killers obtain on the black market.

I agree with your theory on the SKS in the truck. But there are two things that it has against it for this category. Length and weight. And when they were $100.00 rifles it was easy to overlook these two factors. If you had a paratrooper model that would help a little bit. But considering that those are now worth about $500.00 each and up well it makes that not a good candidate either.
Unfortunately, my absolute favorite candidate for the truck gun is now priced out of that category as well. I think the old M1 carbine fit the bill perfectly. Better than handgun accuracy and power. Rugged and reliable and light enough to be one handed if necessary. The last time I owned an Inland model in the mid 90s they could still be had for under $300.00. Most are at least twice that much now. But it's still a very handy weapon in a small package.
I think a very good way to go now would be to keep a Marlin Camp 9 in the truck and a P11 as a carry pistol. Same ammo and same mags comes in handy.

6EA21352-C8B2-4BC7-A5B3-1A4A8F38010D.jpeg
E637CBD2-AF5E-4B3B-89E7-0D0CDA9D2117.jpeg

Reviving this old thread for pics of MY “truck gun” or “trunk gun.”
If it’s not the SKS with the factory wood stock...
...it’s this old (1980’s) Mini-14 with a folding stock, weapons mounted light (also 1980’s vintage), and flash hider (serves as a muzzle protector too).

I’m still experimenting with various levels of readiness for my trunk gun.
Chambered or not? (I lean towards “not”).
Magazine in place, loaded? (I think this would be fine, except for disabling the weapon so a criminal could not easily use it).

Gun lock, or steel-cable bike lock securing weapon from thieves? Maybe locking it TO a structural part of vehicle? (The only good way to do that is run a cable thu the action, so that can’t be done unless rifle is empty, mag out.)

Anyhow, it’s all food for thought.

Most of you guys or city boys so a truck gun is what you keep in your truck to use to shot dogs or put down a cow or kill deer in your field an they need to be long guns I carry a lever action 30 30 in my truck its a tool that you need sometimes

Most of you guys or city boys so a truck gun is what you keep in your truck to use to shot dogs or put down a cow or kill deer in your field an they need to be long guns I carry a lever action 30 30 in my truck its a tool that you need sometimes

Y'all don't use punctuation up in dem dar hills?

Back
Top Bottom