• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

depriming & Decapping 223/556

JRB 50

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
74   0
Reaction score
I keep breaking my depriming pin on my die!!! What is the best tool/die/? for knocking out military crimped primers??? what is a good tool for reaming the primer pocket???

ran into this one some milsrup ammo...... there is not one center hole but instead there were 3 small holes for the primer to fire through. you cant decap these, you would have to drill them if REALLY want to reload these kind of casings

ran into this one some milsrup ammo...... there is not one center hole but instead there were 3 small holes for the primer to fire through. you cant decap these, you would have to drill them if REALLY want to reload these kind of casings

Those are berdan primed. They make a special for to recap them, and you can still get berdan primers. The difference in boxer and berdan primers is that the anvil is made a part of the primer in boxer primers. And berdan primers the anvil is part of the brass.

This is MY process for processing 223 brass.

Size and decap on a single stage RCBS with RCBS dies
Trim with a Possum Hollow trimmer in a corded drill
Chamfer with RCBS chamfer tool stuck in the adapter for the possum hollow
Deburr with RCBS deburr tool stuck in the adapter again
Run thru the Dillon super swage if they have a swaged primer pocket

Then they all go in the tumbler to knock the lube off

Once out of the tumbler they go into the Lee 1000 with the first station a Lee universal decapping die to clear the flash hole,
Then a primer is seated
Powder is dropped,
bullet is seated

Loaded round pops out

Last edited:
I don't think it your die brand? I've not broke a single decapping pin while sizing brass with crimped primers.

I've used Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, etc... Are you sure the expander as well as other aspects of the die is properly adjusted. If it's not the brass type, could it be a bad shellholder?

It is hard to tell if you are running into Berdan primed brass or not. If it is boxer primed reloadable brass, a military crimp will not cause your decapping pin to break. However if you have a bent pin, loose die, or brass without a geometrically centered hole the pin will repeatedly drag on the side of the flash hole and may break. I have experienced this a few times with 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom