• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DH rule comes to the National League

I wish neither league had the DH. But it has always been an unfair advantage for the AL, both in inter league play, playoffs, and contract negotiations.

I understand it from a different perspective as well - pitchers are too valuable to have them pop a ligament trying to slide into second base. You don’t pay a pitcher millions a year for his ability at the plate, and when he gets hurt…

I never had an issue with one side having it and not the other, but it's been that way for as long as I can remember. I would have rather seen it done away with altogether than bring it to the NL though.

I always thought it was fun to see a pitcher get lucky and smash a hard double or a home run. I get that most pitchers now don't want to hit and aren't at all any good at it, but there are a few still around that actually like the challenge and now they won't have that chance anymore.

Imo, it also takes a lot of strategy out of the game by adding DH to NL. No more pinch hitters just because the pitcher spot is due and the starter has already pitched 6 innings and no more worrying about pinch hitting for a reliever and having to bring another one in the next inning.

But I'm also one of those people that disliked when they would do a double switch or something and allow the pitchers spot in the batting order to be moved around. I also hate the shifting. It's just looks ridiculous to me when they put 3 or 4 guys all on one side of second base. I don't remember teams doing that much or at all 20+ yrs ago(not sure how long ago it became a common thing).

On the other hand I only loosely follow baseball and have only been to maybe 4 MLB games in 40 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom