• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

DI vs Piston accuracy, interesting results

Thanks for the link. Just corroborates something I've known for a long time.
Interesting discussion going on over at P&S about this. One valid point that was brought up is the recent selection of the HK for CSASS. Do you suppose that the HK being a ground up piston design made a significant difference vs trying to shoehorn a piston into an AR?

I call total BS dropping in a kit. Take a weapon built ground up like an lwrc,scar etc and you will get real results. How many ftf/fte issues have you had personally with a factory piston gun ? I've had none. They had several right off the bat with their "kit". This comment at the bottom states it very well.

Rocky Senatore2 hours ago
I have been operating AR variants seemingly for my whole life. 20 years in the Army, 11 years in Special Forces (Green Beret), another 15 years as a Department of Defenses contractor, professional firearms instructor, and industry professional. I was a sniper, Counter Terrorist Operator, and Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat instructor. I have graduated from every single shooting school Army Special Forces offers. So I've launched a round or two, and it is my professional, not humble at all, opinion that this argument and test is worthless. When my career started as a sniper everybody knew if you wanted an accurate rifle it had to be two things; a bolt action and heavy. In spite of the tribal knowledge, I was an early adopter of the AR sniper system (SR-25), not because it was extremely accurate (though it was an honest MOA performer), but because I wanted the fire power.
Of all the rifles out there that I have ever operated, the most consistently accurate, off-the-shelf, production line, AR-15 and AR-10 types have been piston rifles. As a consultant for a premier piston AR manufacturer, I once took ten (10) AR-10 types to test. The company had a contract to supply 5 rifles to an Army special operations unit and I wanted, of course, to send the Brothers the best examples I could. Mind you, these were 10 guns I grabbed off the assembly line, not custom or hand-built cheaters. The rifles I rejected were sub-MOA, the five that were selected were better than 1/2 MOA. That was almost 10 years ago, and since then I have tested not less than hundreds of rifles from this manufacturer, and they continue to be outstanding, MOA(-),

Have you picked up an HK? Super heavy! The way that piston guns defeat the accuracy-robbing vibration effects of the piston system is to use a heavier barrel. This works very well, at the cost of a weight increase.

A 12" HK 416 weighs more than my 16" DDM4v1, and the DD ain't a lightweight.

Both my precision AR-type rifles are DGI for a reason.

Have you picked up an HK? Super heavy! The way that piston guns defeat the accuracy-robbing vibration effects of the piston system is to use a heavier barrel. This works very well, at the cost of a weight increase.

A 12" HK 416 weighs more than my 16" DDM4v1, and the DD ain't a lightweight.

Both my precision AR-type rifles are DGI for a reason.

My LWRC is about that same as my A2 Bushmaster and a lot light than my RR with a heavy barrel.

Back
Top Bottom