• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DI vs Piston accuracy, interesting results

There is no difference between the barrel for a DGI AR and a piston AR. Go to any barrel makers website you want, see if they list 2 different AR barrels for 2 different gas systems. They don't.

Of course they don't. This is why I said that claiming too many variables is silly. The exact same rifle just with a different operating system..

Of course they don't. This is why I said that claiming too many variables is silly. The exact same rifle just with a different operating system..

There are too many variables. If you buy 2 barrels from the same manufacturer, one will be more accurate than the other. Look at 2 upper receivers from the same manufacturer and one will have more concentric threads than the other.

Anything manmade has an acceptable tolerance built in. One part will be perfect, the next is off a tad but within tolerances. Do you know what "tolerance stacking" is?

There are too many variables. If you buy 2 barrels from the same manufacturer, one will be more accurate than the other. Look at 2 upper receivers from the same manufacturer and one will have more concentric threads than the other.

Anything manmade has an acceptable tolerance built in. One part will be perfect, the next is off a tad but within tolerances. Do you know what "tolerance stacking" is?

Wait. So you are praising DGI and saying "I have said this for a while" but then saying the test is inconclusive because there aren't enough controlled variables? Which one is it?

For anyone who has trouble believing that all things being pretty equal a direct impingement gas system is inherently more accurate than a short stroke piston system.....ask yourself this. Why do you suppose that a few years back the folks at Camp Perry decided to create a separate 1000 yard match for the M1A/M14 and M1 Garand folks? After all the 1000 Yard Service Rifle Match allows any military service rifle. In fact that 1000 Yard Service Rifle Match was once dominated by the M1A/M14. While you're at ask yourself why there are no short stroke piston rifles competing against all those direct impingement AR/M16 rifles in the 1000 Yard Service Rifle Match? I mean the DI guys actually add weight to their competition rifles, lead in the stock and such. Why not just start with a heavier gas piston rifle to begin with? Evidently the difference in accuracy between the two gas systems is enough that it makes a world if difference at 1000 yards. Just a thought. As always, YMMV.

Wait. So you are praising DGI and saying "I have said this for a while" but then saying the test is inconclusive because there aren't enough controlled variables? Which one is it?

You have misread or misunderstood my posts. I never said that......I pointed out that my experiences CANNOT be used as an example. My exact words were:

"Yep, too many variables. If you can't control the variables then the comparison is invalid.

I've owned the LWRC REPR and I currently own a JPE LRP-07. The JP shoots more accurately than my REPR did, but all that means is that MY LRP-07 shoots more accurately than MY LWRC REPR. It doesn't mean that the LRP-07 is a more accurate rifle than the REPR."

I specifically state in that post that the particular JP LRP-07 I own is more accurate than the LWRC REPR I used to own, and that's all that statement means. My 1 particular rifle is more accurate than the other 1 particular rifle. The last sentence of my post clearly states this is not a definitive statement of one brand or gas system over the other.

What myself and others are trying to get across is that a piston AR can be very accurate, but that you have to make some changes that you don't have to do on a DGI gun, like stiffen the barrel. Stiffening the barrel is easiest and cheapest done by thickening it.

Another key to accuracy is consistency. The less moving parts you have the easier it is to have them be consistent. A piston AR has more moving parts than a DGI.

Nowhere have I stated that a piston gun won't shoot accurately. I've run a 16" HK MR762 to 1,000yds with great success. What I'm saying is know your equipment, know its pros and cons, its strengths and its weaknesses. Buy a piston or a DGI, I don't work for any gun company and don't care what you run.

Well lets see. Next time I go to the range just for the heck of it I will test my PWS against my Colt Competition and see how things turn out. But of course there will be variables in the test but I will report humidity variations between shots.

Well lets see. Next time I go to the range just for the heck of it I will test my PWS against my Colt Competition and see how things turn out. But of course there will be variables in the test but I will report humidity variations between shots.
^^^ obviously doesn't understand the Scientific Method.

Seriously though, the only thing that would tell you, is out of those two individual guns, which is more accurate. But it wouldn't tell you anything about piston vs DI.

You have misread or misunderstood my posts. I never said that......I pointed out that my experiences CANNOT be used as an example. My exact words were:

"Yep, too many variables. If you can't control the variables then the comparison is invalid.

I've owned the LWRC REPR and I currently own a JPE LRP-07. The JP shoots more accurately than my REPR did, but all that means is that MY LRP-07 shoots more accurately than MY LWRC REPR. It doesn't mean that the LRP-07 is a more accurate rifle than the REPR."

I specifically state in that post that the particular JP LRP-07 I own is more accurate than the LWRC REPR I used to own, and that's all that statement means. My 1 particular rifle is more accurate than the other 1 particular rifle. The last sentence of my post clearly states this is not a definitive statement of one brand or gas system over the other.

What myself and others are trying to get across is that a piston AR can be very accurate, but that you have to make some changes that you don't have to do on a DGI gun, like stiffen the barrel. Stiffening the barrel is easiest and cheapest done by thickening it.

Another key to accuracy is consistency. The less moving parts you have the easier it is to have them be consistent. A piston AR has more moving parts than a DGI.

Nowhere have I stated that a piston gun won't shoot accurately. I've run a 16" HK MR762 to 1,000yds with great success. What I'm saying is know your equipment, know its pros and cons, its strengths and its weaknesses. Buy a piston or a DGI, I don't work for any gun company and don't care what you run.

I am not arguing for accuracy in regards to one or the other. You still are contradicting yourself but that's ok. You are one of the most knowledgeable people here but that doesn't mean your argument can't have easy holes punched in it.

Back
Top Bottom