• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Did I just discover the tax exempt form 1 trap? Is this some sneaky BS?

The exemption was just to blanket the accessory and meets the legal definition of SBR aka a stock or device attached to a weapon with a barrel under 16” they even refer to it as being an SBR and there is no separate sub category of them. But to be honest based on ATFs track record wouldn’t suprise me 10yrs later they flip flop again
Ok. In typical ATF fashion this whole thing is clear as mud

If you go by the rule and the FAQs so far, unless you added a braced pistol to a trust before the rule went into effect (and have notarized proof) you can't do one of the 'free' form 1s and have the trust as the owner. It has to be done as an individual.

If you later want to transfer that 'free' form 1 gun to a trust I believe it will take a 'regular' form 1 and a $200 fee to transfer, just like any other NFA SBR transfer. You would also have to follow the regular rules like adding the appropriate markings to it I'm thinking, since now you are back in the regular process.

Funny how the videos and FAQs a S Shop demonstrate adding your trust to the purchase of the 50$ form1. And to make matters more confusing their documents review is emailing me for copies of my trust on this pistol before docusign. I'll call S Shop Monday and get their version since their FAQ and videos are so confusing and I would argue misleading. Granted this is very confusing for a person who just shoots guns and buys them legally. I'm guessing 30m people out there will just not bother to register theirs and I understand their standpoint. No effort to be legal goes unpunished.

Funny how the videos and FAQs a S Shop demonstrate adding your trust to the purchase of the 50$ form1. And to make matters more confusing their documents review is emailing me for copies of my trust on this pistol before docusign. I'll call S Shop Monday and get their version since their FAQ and videos are so confusing and I would argue misleading. Granted this is very confusing for a person who just shoots guns and buys them legally. I'm guessing 30m people out there will just not bother to register theirs and I understand their standpoint. No effort to be legal goes unpunished.
When the director couldnt even list out how the process worked under testimony this week that should paint a real clear picture on how crystal clear the process is ....clear as the Chattahoochee

Yeah I got an email from silencershop too and had some questions. From what I understand that Form 1 isnt really an SBR. Its more like a registeration where you register that lower to accept a brace. You still cant put a stock on it and since you dont pay the $200 tax you dont get a stamp.
From ATF FAQ regarding the brace rule:

12. Once the firearm is registered as a short-barreled rifle (SBR) can I remove/change the

"stabilizing brace" or attach an item marketed as a stock? If so, am I required to notify ATF in advance?

• Yes, the firearm is registered as an SBR, and you can change out the "brace" device or stock for a different brace or stock. You do not need to contact ATF/NFA because changing the brace/stock does not change the configuration of the SBR. However, if the length of the firearm has changed you will need to notify the NFA Division. Final Note: The SBR is not

"registered" until an approved Form 1 is received from NFA. The brace cannot be substituted/replaced until that time.

From ATF FAQ regarding the brace rule:

12. Once the firearm is registered as a short-barreled rifle (SBR) can I remove/change the

"stabilizing brace" or attach an item marketed as a stock? If so, am I required to notify ATF in advance?

• Yes, the firearm is registered as an SBR, and you can change out the "brace" device or stock for a different brace or stock. You do not need to contact ATF/NFA because changing the brace/stock does not change the configuration of the SBR. However, if the length of the firearm has changed you will need to notify the NFA Division. Final Note: The SBR is not

"registered" until an approved Form 1 is received from NFA. The brace cannot be substituted/replaced until that time.
Well maybe I just need to read more lolol

Back
Top Bottom