• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did the 25 degree temperature affect your truck gun today?

57tr6

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
84   0
Reaction score
I had a situation come up this morning where I thought I should check the readiness of the P97 I had in my truck. The slide did not want to willingly move and when I forced it the cartridge in the chamber only partially ejected and jammed. I put it down and grabbed my Smith wheel gun instead.
I never had a moments trouble with it before and can only attribute the problem to the cold temperature. Anyone ever had a similar problem?

that is interesting.....cold will make springs stiffer. my truck sits higher at 40 degrees that 80 degrees.......one of those weird things ive noticed over the years

It happens. Just make sure to lube it well before you leave it over night when you know it is going to be that cold.

Actually I would almost be willing to bet the lube that he used is what has caused this malfunction. Most lubes when chilled will get thicker and the thicker lube will close tolerances and cause the action to slow down and cause malfunctions.

I'm gonna agree with customkydex here. When I lived up north I was having that problem in the winter and narrowed it down to laying on too thick a layer of lube. I
thinned it out and eventually changed to a less viscous lube and the problem disappeared.

Yep I was wrong. It was mostly a guess because I've never had to deal with weapons in cold weather. This article had some good info.

Apparently you are supposed to wipe away all lube. ;)

When I lived in AK the guys used veggie oil but I never knew why. Now I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom