• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Did the 25 degree temperature affect your truck gun today?

Yep I was wrong. It was mostly a guess because I've never had to deal with weapons in cold weather. This article had some good info.

Apparently you are supposed to wipe away all lube. ;)

When I lived in AK the guys used veggie oil but I never knew why. Now I know.

Thats a good article. This is something I had never really thought about until it happened and thought others should be aware of it.

Actually I would almost be willing to bet the lube that he used is what has caused this malfunction. Most lubes when chilled will get thicker and the thicker lube will close tolerances and cause the action to slow down and cause malfunctions.

This! And the ONLY lube I use ie BreakFree. Six years using the stuff back when I was in the army got me hooked. I even dab a little on for date night with the wife. ;)

Most modern polymer pistols require very little lube... especially in very cold temperatures.
This time of year on the range during classes we are constantly dealing w/ stoppages due to overlubed guns.

25 degrees isn't even close to cold enough to start worrying about viscosity issues. I grew up in Nebraska, and I got by just fine with crappy RemOil that my father bought, or the thick white Military weapons oil you get at a surplus shop. I've hunted in -25 and colder with zero issues with semi autos. The only concern was at about -10 and lower. If using a bolt action rifle it's a good idea to put the bolt in your pocket. I've had firing pins stick in the channel on two rifles. One was a tang safe Ruger M77 in .270 and the other was a newer WInchester Model 70 in 7mm Mag. On both occasions it was extremely cold (negative double digits) and very windy.

Back
Top Bottom