DIVORCE Lawyer Question...

My ex and I signed all the divorce paperwork for the uncontested divorce and are waiting on the judge’s signature to complete the whole thing. She moved out with her stuff last week and I changed the locks after she moved out. Now she wants to come back and stay in the house while I’m out of town claiming that since we are not divorced yet that she can still be in the house and because she hasn’t signed over the house to me and I have not paid her half the equity yet, as agreed in the divorce decree.
My question is since she moved out already am I obligated to let her back in since the house deed is still in both names or do I say “No” since she’s the one that moved out already before the judge signed the decree.
Don’t go out of town. That will save you the trouble

My ex and I signed all the divorce paperwork for the uncontested divorce and are waiting on the judge’s signature to complete the whole thing. She moved out with her stuff last week and I changed the locks after she moved out. Now she wants to come back and stay in the house while I’m out of town claiming that since we are not divorced yet that she can still be in the house and because she hasn’t signed over the house to me and I have not paid her half the equity yet, as agreed in the divorce decree.
My question is since she moved out already am I obligated to let her back in since the house deed is still in both names or do I say “No” since she’s the one that moved out already before the judge signed the decree.

If you dont' let her in you'l find out soon enough..

It's a fair argument that if you haven't bought her out of the property, she still owns 50% of it, so is still entitled to occupy.

This isn't a legal opinion, but it seems you want to enforce one half of that agreement without satisfying the other half.

It's a fair argument that if you haven't bought her out of the property, she still owns 50% of it, so is still entitled to occupy.

This isn't a legal opinion, but it seems you want to enforce one half of that agreement without satisfying the other half.
I don’t mind her being in the house it’s just that it was her decision to move out before hand and take stuff out of the house.

I was told by my Attorney that if she left on her own accord she has no right to come back. Mine kept coming back and taking stuff....His words to me were " Are you stupid? Change the damn locks" Nothing like getting that phone call from her....it gave me great pleasure.
Keep the locks changed...do not let her back in. 1% of divorces go uncontested....eventually the woman gets greedy...has friends in her ear telling her to get more. Fight the good fight. I've been through it twice.

I was told by my Attorney that if she left on her own accord she has no right to come back. Mine kept coming back and taking stuff....His words to me were " Are you stupid? Change the damn locks" Nothing like getting that phone call from her....it gave me great pleasure.
Keep the locks changed...do not let her back in. 1% of divorces go uncontested....eventually the woman gets greedy...has friends in her ear telling her to get more. Fight the good fight. I've been through it twice.

I thought so too but since everything is signed I don’t have access to a lawyer now and I called the Gwinnett PD last night. The officer called me back and explained because the divorce is not signed by the judge yet she still has the right to the house.

I thought so too but since everything is signed I don’t have access to a lawyer now and I called the Gwinnett PD last night. The officer called me back and explained because the divorce is not signed by the judge yet she still has the right to the house.
Remember, you spoke to an officer, not a lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom