• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DIY Hydrographic dipping - anyone try it?

LethalEdge

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
344   1
Reaction score
Anyone else try DIY hydrographic dipping? There is a little bit of technique involved butI am starting to get the hang of it. Cost wise, film was $10 for each graphic style (I like the oil stain over the skulls). Primer, base coat and activator totaled about $60. I do try to dip enough to do the 2k clear coat as that stuff is only good for about 48 hours after activating and it is about $25 a can.

Couple Sig grip modules, a stripped lower and grip, and a Microtech Exocet. The color of the base coat makes a big difference in the look. For the oil slick, the Sig grip base coat was black and on the Microtech I used a silver base coat.

It is becoming addicting….

1645321913739.png

1645321926943.png

1645321941219.png

1645321952802.png

1645321963130.png

I've threatened to try my hand at it. I currently have a stick on wrap on one of my shotguns and wouldn't mind dipping it in original bottomland or Greenleaf. A lot of folks charge so much I figure it can't hurt to try before spending so much.

I've threatened to try my hand at it. I currently have a stick on wrap on one of my shotguns and wouldn't mind dipping it in original bottomland or Greenleaf. A lot of folks charge so much I figure it can't hurt to try before spending so much.
that was my thinking. Could alway bead blast it off and re-prime and paint. The approach for a stock would probably to mask half, dip and then do the other side. I have found that if you try rolling the part across the film it starts to stretch the pattern.

Back
Top Bottom