• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dodge Ram 4.7 help

georgia357

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
57   0
Reaction score
I have a 2002 1500 Ram 4.7 that goes wide open when started. Revs go through the roof, just like I had the gas pedal to the floor. The throttle does not move nor does the throttle butterfly. I've tried disconnecting the AIC and TPS with no difference. This started the other day and I cranked the truck and it backfired. Everything looks ok under the hood, no hoses loose etc.

Does your truck have a tach? Any codes? Pull the POSITIVE battery cable and touch it to the negative terminal for a second or two (longer if it makes you happy). Reconnect your TPS and IAC if you haven't already. Reconnect your battery and start the truck. Does it run to about 2-2500 rpm and slowly fall or just keep revving higher? If races with no end in sight you have a massive air leak, if it stays stable probably a TPS. Does your 4.7 have a plastic intake manifold?

It does have the plastic intake. I've tried what y'all have suggested and didn't have any change. As soon as the truck cranks, the revs go to the top, wide open. I've check for anything cracked or busted on the intake but can't see anything. Might look again tonight when it's dark out, be easier to notice anything odd.

This started after a backfire? You MAY have cracked the intake or blown the gasket/o-rings out or broken a plastic vacuum line. Check every visible inch of the intake and all your vacuum lines.

OK, found the problem now to figure out how to fix it. It looks like a plate or something that goes on the back of the intake facing the firewall has blown off. Looks like the only way to get to it is pulling the intake!!! Not sure how hard that will be but seems that I have no choice.

I have a Jeep with the 4.7 HO.. TPS sensors and MAP sensors are common idle problem sources. If you are fairly handy, the manifold shouldn't be too tough to remove... it's just hella tight in there!

Back
Top Bottom