Does anyone here not carry a gun everyday? Has anyone carried and quit?

I have never worked where it was allowed but its never been illegal. I've never carried where it was illegal. I have carried everything from a P32 to a Glock 34 and everything in between short of a hellcat. A lot of that time was with a J frame AIWB or in my pocket. I think this is a mindset issue. When its just me its just me. All I can lose a little money and me. When my family is in tow there is more on the line and they are worth it. Of course they all go through their lives when Im not around unarmed.
I have this mindset. Carry is not allowed where I work. I make good money and I'm the sole provider for my family so its not a risk I can take. I'm in the process of losing weight so carrying becomes more comfortable (love handles suck). If I'm with the family I will carry; like if we are running errands, traveling, etc. We are about to be heavily involved in marching band this year and I need to look at the laws concerning carrying on school property. Most of the week its just work and home, so I find myself carrying more on the weekends. I might start carrying in my workbag more, but its not always with me at work. I think this is a great topic though.

Great thread/topic. I've personally never felt compelled to disarm if I had a choice but I can understand not wanting the hassle. All the gear we typically keep on or around us and the mental lists that go with that is a lot. Not to mention the potential legal/monetary ramifications for just being involved in a situation whether your actions were justified or not.

OP made an interesting statement about only carrying with his family. I think most of us could never forgive ourselves if we could have stopped crime against a loved one if we'd just made the effort to "be prepared" that particular day. When it's just "us" though it can change your mentality. It's a lot easier to just GTFO of a situation when it's just you.

This is exactly what I meant when I said "I understand" the OP's sentiment...I was just too lazy to type it all out lol...

I have carried a gun almost every day for 20+ years. I have never worked a job where carry was allowed but smart carry, pocket carry and AIWB work miracles. Recently I just quit and I cant explain it. I was sitting at work one day and it was hot with a Glock 19, pocket knife, hand sanitizer, flash light, wallet, etc and just walked to my truck and unloaded it all. I kept my wallet and pocket knife. It seemed like everything was suddenly heavy and the touch seemed to irritate me. Since then I am only carrying a gun when I am with my family. If Im robbed I am robbed of a few hundred bucks. If I am killed over my wallet Im dead. My family could survive without me. Maybe I've gotten lazy, maybe I've given up, Im not sure. It just doesn't seem to be worth it. Is there anyone else who even though we are in crazy times we have always been and just doesn't see the need to carry a gun all the time? I guess its sort of like church I go because I feel my family needs to be there but unsure if I do. Its almost like carrying a gun and going to church was just checking something off the list.
Are you overweight? Do you have diabetes?

A 365 or a 642 in the pocket will work. A 365 AIWB too. Around here, the walk through the parking lot seems to be the choke point. There is a lot of responsibility required when carrying, we all accept that. If you listen to the experts, you really never want to use a firearm in self defense, because win or lose, you will about broke. Maybe spiritually as well as monetarily. A lot to think on, you'll make the right decision for you and your family. Right ?

I don't carry because I rarely go out. I haven't been to Wal-Mart since before the COVID in 2919. Only go to Publix to pick up my prescriptions, and my wife gets half of them anyway. I am secure in/at my home.

Back
Top Bottom