• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

drying bulk brass post Stainless Tumble the easy way.

watchingtrace

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
ive tried alot of different ways to streamline my reloading process. drying the brass in the oven is the hands down best way by far. 175 deg. i run em for 2-3 hrs just to be lock stock sure they are bone dry. i leave a spatula in the door so it stays barely cracked to let any humidity escape. i can fit 700 6.5x55 swede cases on the tray i have and the oven would easily hold 3 trays [wish i had 3 trays worth (: ]

Make sure the pan you use is about 1.5" deep if any falls over the side it will not do the oven heat element any good and
mamma ain't gonna be happy at all. That's the reason we only use stainless steel w/o water, or #8 corn cobb or bigger
in our Dillon tumbler...

just a suggestion to think on, each to their own process....

i do need a bigger/deeper pan (; thats the biggest one i could find. i'd really like to have 2 this size with higher sides. this ones usually fine but i was workin a larger lot for some new barrels.

ive tried alot of different ways to streamline my reloading process. drying the brass in the oven is the hands down best way by far. 175 deg. i run em for 2-3 hrs just to be lock stock sure they are bone dry. i leave a spatula in the door so it stays barely cracked to let any humidity escape. i can fit 700 6.5x55 swede cases on the tray i have and the oven would easily hold 3 trays [wish i had 3 trays worth (: ]

hands down or up this is the the only way i dry my brass.

After SS tumbling, I use the "dry spin" method - after separating the pins in a rotary media separator, I leave the wet brass in the squirrel cage and throw in a dry towel. Then agitate the brass vigorously for 30 second or so. Repeat with a second dry towel.

This removes 99.9% of all moisture from the brasses. Simply leaving the brasses exposed to open air for 15 minutes completes the drying process.

No need for any ovens, dryers, blowers, etc - ever.....

Happy Tumbling -

Bayou

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom