• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric cars

I recently had a battery blow up in my F150. I can just imagine one of these batteries blowing and taking you and your house with it
Most companies don’t have this issue, they use a heating for winter and a cooling for charging to keep their batteries under management. fire is usually from something else. Some issues in early development stages had issues. Warning if you catch one on fire you wont put it out the fire department will have an issue putting it out they creat their own fue source and feed themselves it is like watching a train wreck. The probability on Hyundai Genesis Nissan tesla is super low i have not reasearched the others to tell you likleyhoods.

Interesting recent angle to this topic. Earlier in the week I was talking to my brother (an electrician) out in California. A relative out there is looking to pick up an EV and in preparation, inquired about having a higher amperage charging capability installed at their house. As they don't have sufficient service amperage currently to power such a "station" they had to apply to the power company to have their service upgraded (to 400A total). They have to hire an electric contractor of course to do this work but at least in CA, said contractor has to be specifically certified to conduct charging station work, thus limiting supply, thus driving up cost. Additionally, the utility demands that the meter be pulled and replaced, thus requiring the utility company itself to directly perform part of this work (increasing cost). Additionally, since the meter is being pulled and replaced it is a building permit event, thus requiring inspection after pull of the meter, after physical install of the new equipment, and to re-certify at close of construction (increasing cost). All told they are looking at roughly $10,000 worth of electric and permitting work/charges in addition to the cost of the vehicle. That will give them the capability to charge to 100% in roughly 7ish hours overnight, so don't count on that vehicle in event of any type of off schedule emergency. Additionally, almost all residential meters in the US are currently on flat rate, meaning you burn a kilowatt/hour you pay a fixed rate for it. Utility companies are forcing people desiring this type "upgrade" to sign what is known in commercial electricity as a "time of use" contract, meaning you now have a smart meter and the cost per KW/HR isn't fixed, it is variable dependent on demand in the grid at the time you burn the power.

How you see that time of use concept portrayed isn't "we'll charge you more if you use power when it is inconvenient for us" - it is more often showing up as "we'll give you a discount if you use at night" but the reality is more subtle and more expensive. Additionally CA in particular has grown so reliant on solar, linking all houses back to the grid, that day time is now becoming the cheaper window of opportunity for power usage because supply is higher due to sunshine, and if you want to charge at night while you are say, sleeping, you are actually gonna pay more because, guess what - no sunshine at night.

The dirty little secret that bright electricians already have realized, if you have a gas vehicle that gets decent mileage and you drive it conservatively (meaning you don't lead foot it from stop light to stop light) the actual energy cost, gas vs watts, is just about the same.
Dom delEloise said it best how do you tell a Florida lemon from a California lemon? Easy cut ‘em in half an suck the one that is tangy tart little sweet and juicy is from Florida the one that sucks back is from California. The level 2 charges for the house are 32 and 40 amp for the most part the rest of what you typed seems to be a California and power company rant I can’t help on that.

Dont like the thought of riding around with $30,000 worth of fire bombs underneath my ass. No thanks.

I’m good with my ride.
View attachment 6166701
is that better or worse than a 17 round magazine with $40 worth of mini expolion causing devises that move a projectile out a barrel attached to your hip?

Sntach seems to have disappeared...
so, I have a friend, that decided she HAD to have one of these....due mainly to the tax credit!!....
Well....she's goes to see her son in Pittsburg....she's in Erie....the trip is around 125 miles...she looks at her "battery gauge" it say 240 miles...so...good the go!!!....not so much....well, she's almost there....50 miles or so, and....well the "battery gauge" now says she only has 50 miles remaining....she has to turn off the radio, charger for her phone, and the HEATER!!! she drives then drives the last 50 miles freezing!!!....hits her son's house with ONE mile left....NO THANKS
She has since bought a new gas car, and keeps the "city golf cart" for trips around the neighborhood....
60k golf cart....you just gotta love it....BUT it makes them feel soooooo good!!! while the child slaves in Africa are digging the needed chemicals out of the ground with their fingers...they can all go straight to hell, for what they are causing!!! go look at those children!!!

Hard pass. I live in rural GA. Just a few weeks ago the power was out for 3 days. Also will not have a vehicle I can't hop in and drive across the country if the need/ want arises. Kids getting older and starting to spread out.

Sntach seems to have disappeared...
so, I have a friend, that decided she HAD to have one of these....due mainly to the tax credit!!....
Well....she's goes to see her son in Pittsburg....she's in Erie....the trip is around 125 miles...she looks at her "battery gauge" it say 240 miles...so...good the go!!!....not so much....well, she's almost there....50 miles or so, and....well the "battery gauge" now says she only has 50 miles remaining....she has to turn off the radio, charger for her phone, and the HEATER!!! she drives then drives the last 50 miles freezing!!!....hits her son's house with ONE mile left....NO THANKS
She has since bought a new gas car, and keeps the "city golf cart" for trips around the neighborhood....
60k golf cart....you just gotta love it....BUT it makes them feel soooooo good!!! while the child slaves in Africa are digging the needed chemicals out of the ground with their fingers...they can all go straight to hell, for what they are causing!!! go look at those children!!!
No I’m at work I do sell cars for a living and like to spread knowledge and get unbiased opinions. I don’t trust large company training material when is is opposite of what I see. I respect all opinions but facts ar facts. I see on here (this post) fact from several educated consumers, heresay from somebody said this was horrible cause I wanted this to be like that even though this and that are opposites, some fear of goverement and big business stupidity, some smart Alec comments love those btw,and some real questions. On the Congo child labor, I haven’t did the reasearch to see good or bad. i saw good or bad cause yep child labor is real awful but if that labor supported and feeds a family in the third word ares I am not sure. I’m not playing devils advocate but food on the table is not guaranteed for every human on earth.

I would be much more interested in electric if charging weren’t such an issue

If the super capacitor type battery breakthrough were to ever really happen, we would be in business!

An electric car with a 15 min charge cycle would be something I would be interested in

Back
Top Bottom