• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electrical question. Who knows about EMP/whole house lightning protection? Is it Worthwhile?

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score

They claim these to shunt the energy to ground in a nano second
I don’t know if we’ll ever have an EMP attack, but not replacing a couple of refrigerators, freezers, and tv’s after another lightning strike has gotta have some value.

I’m thinking about getting a couple of these, What do we know?

When sized and installed properly they can help with a lightning strike that comes in your power line. Not familiar with that brand, most of the ones I've seen were from LEA International. If you have frequent strikes, look for one that uses replaceable modules unless you want to have an electrician out every time there's any bit of strike nearby

If there is an EMP the power grid will go down. Then you and all of your protected electronic devices can wait in the dark for the radioactive fallout.
I’m not particularly concerned with EMP. I was looking for lightning protection. I just recently replaced a refrigerator/freezer due to lightning strike. These folks claim to do both. They claim that power will be shunted to ground in a gazilllionth of a second

It’s impossible to protect your home from an EMP unless your house is inside a Faraday cage. An EMP will take out the power station, all batteries and any generators that are on at that time.
This^^^

And the fact that this company is saying it protects from EMP tells me they are full of cr@p. Pure snake oil.

There are companies that do lightening protection, basically by installing a large surge suppressor on your power feed. You need an electrician to install it since it has to go between the meter and your main breaker, and it's fairly pricy.

Call these guys.
They won't steer you wrong and are willing to assist you with the right products.
Disabled veteran owned.
Bad Wolf LLC
Their warranty sucks:
The maximum liability of Bad Wolf LLC under this limited warranty shall not exceed the actual purchase price paid for the product.

They don’t cover anything but themselves

Back
Top Bottom