• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ever wonder what happens after 80k rounds?

mtdawg169

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
59   0
Reaction score
This brief article on TFB shows the dramatic effects of a tremendous amount of abuse in an AR15 barrel. Noveske N4 hammer forged barrel with between 80-100k rounds. The gas port erosion almost burned through the entire barrel.

The article also shows the results of 30K+ rounds through a 416R stainless steel Noveske barrel. Pretty impressive stuff.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/27/ever-wondered-80-100k-rounds-fired-ar-15-barrel/

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161031_0a65a8b4940f3f55994f69016f400f42.jpg

Thats an amazing variance in the number of rounds fired. The Bushy was keyholeing at 15k so they knew it was gone.

This^^^
You may be referring to the Luckygunner test. We just have to keep in mind that the gun may have been keyholing earlier than 80k rounds. The article is thin on details and doesn't even state where the guns were used.

Also, rate of fire, duration of extreme temperatures, ammunition used, barrel steel type, bore finishes and even barrel profile, will all impact the life of a barrel.

I really wonder when the hammer forged barrel began keyholing. There's no way to know, but it looks like the rifling is completely gone from the bore. It would have started throwing bad rounds well before the rifling was all gone. If the gun was actually a select-fire range rental, no one was bothering to look at the groups, so it could have been shot out a long time ago.

Since there's so little information available, all we really get from this are some good examples of gas port erosion. With the hammer forged barrel being an extreme example.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's a neat article, but sure would like more info about how the rifle was treated. Rental? Personally owned? Full Auto? Three round burst? How many years used? Just all sorts of stuff I would like to know just cause I am nosy!

Back
Top Bottom