• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Extension of BOS thread -- can you prove you own the guns you own?

Sorry but I'm a little stuck on the fact that you left a "very uncommon" or "sort of unicorn gun" in an unlocked car.

Can't speak for OP but some of us are eccentric in our tastes.

My daily carry is usually a 30 year-old failed military trials gun in the Steyr GB, just because I can.

Sorry but I'm a little stuck on the fact that you left a "very uncommon" or "sort of unicorn gun" in an unlocked car.

We have lived on the same cul-de-sac for 30 years, and in all that time not one of the ten houses has had any issues with break in or general thievery. It was not a particular expensive gun, just an unusual one. Between the cul-de-sac, dogs, and snoopy neighbors, the thieves were not in a car, the thief was probably a walk through. So maybe I did something bad leaving my car in my driveway as I had for most of the nights for 30 years. (Actually it was PU truck).

The thieves were such DA that they didn't steal the ammunition on the seat.

I probably am as griped by the fact that the neither the pawn shop owner (who is supposed to be a friend of mine) or LEO would tell me who pawned the gun.

My BOS.

i.huffpost.com_gen_1782747_images_o_STRONG_HANDSHAKE_facebook.jpg

O.K. the little BOS FFL wannabes want a BOS to prove they sold the gun supposedly. The flip side is can they prove they owned the gun in first place?

I'll start this with what we used to call a "personal witness."

I had a pistol stolen from my car in front of my house. Yeah yeah yeah, I should have had the door locked, heard all about that from the significant other. But it was a very uncommon pistol, and I HAD THE BOX IT CAME IN from the FFL, brand new. Easy peasy. Gave that info to the LEO. Next day get a call from the detective that a gun "similar" to mine had shower up at the nearest pawn shop. Praise the Lord, Glory Hallelujah. But what with the "similar to mine" Well the last digit on the serial number was ONE digit off from the one on the box, so they (LEO) were putting a hold on it, but they could not pick it up.

Well, no problemo, we will just drive over to the FFL, pull out the 4473 and get the serial number of the gun sold to me, because they copy that from the gun, not the box. BIG PROBLEMO, in the meantime, LGS has lost their FFL, and all the 4473 go back to ATF, which apparently stores them in the same warehouse that the Ark is stored in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Footnote: If you are all paranoid about ATF tracking you down through a 4473, get over it. They pretty much told me that unless I had used the gun to assassinate a president, there was no way they were going to locate the records and search through them, because they have to do it manually.

The LGS had to records to show that they had received 5 of these sort of unicorn guns, and freely admitted that the guns and boxes may have gotten mixed up.

Bottom line, I couldn't get the gun back because I couldn't PROVE it was my gun, and they wouldn't tell me who pawned it, because I wasn't above having a come to Jesus meeting, and they had to be local.

Anyway, I followed up on what my insurance company has been telling me for years which is to document what you owned. Even for personal property, take a picture of each room. In any event, I took my camera and took a picture of every gun I own, and making sure the serial number was clear, and any identifying marks.

Then I stored the copies on line, and on a disk I keep in a lock box. As I buy and sell, I just add to it.

So, can you prove you own the guns you claim to own at this moment. Even a hand written journal would be sufficient. But if you can't prove you had that specific gun in your hands at a specific time, it may cause you trouble.

In my case, and as a lesson to the BOS fanboys, I WISH the police had traced a gun used in a crime back to me.
So the lesson learned here is: Give the police the CORRECT serial number of the gun you had stolen when you make the police report.

I have multiple pictures of all of my guns. Each set of pictures has at least one that clearly shows the serial number. I also have a separate file that lists the gun type and serial number of every gun. When I go to buy a gun, I make certain that all serial numbers on it match the serial number on the box. There was one gun for sale here on ODT that I really wanted, but didn't even respond to the post because the seller stated in his posting that the serial numbers on the frame and barrel did not match. Probably due to replacing a bad barrel, but I'm just kind of anal about that kind of thing.

"Well, no problemo, we will just drive over to the FFL, pull out the 4473 and get the serial number of the gun sold to me, because they copy that from the gun, not the box. BIG PROBLEMO, in the meantime, LGS has lost their FFL, and all the 4473 go back to ATF, which apparently stores them in the same warehouse that the Ark is stored in Raiders of the Lost Ark."

4473's do NOT go back to the ATF....They are a permanent fixture to the FFL holder.

People do what they want.......I personally have a file folder set up in both my email accounts. When I acquire a new firearm, I take several detailed pictures of the firearm with clear shots of the serial numbers with my GA DL & GWCL right next to it. It shows serial number, and my ID in two forms. Pics go to the file folder. You can access them from anywhere anytime cause its in your email folders. That's me.!!

Back
Top Bottom