• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FA Parts - We Self Regulate Out of Fear and Misinterpretation

Monkeydo

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I'm probably going to cause a s*** storm here, but I wanted to get this off my chest. I have read countless old threads here and on other sites (one just recently on here) where people ask a question about FA parts and many users give their misguided interpretation of the law and regulations. The term and definition of sear also gets thrown around incorrectly or misunderstood quite a bit during these discussions.

For the record, owning FA auto FCG parts is NOT illegal. That includes hammers, disconnectors, sears (not including drop in auto sears), selectors, and triggers. It doesn't matter how you want to interpret the law, it's simply not illegal to own FA parts. Period. If they were regulated, you would have to pick the parts up from an FFL, among other requirements (tax stamp, etc). If you don't believe me, simply shoot FTF Industries an email. They sell FA parts all day long (along with MANY other companies), and aren't some dark web vendor. Heck, even BCM use to offer a FA AR15 trigger/hammer group before they sold out. AK parts kits also come with FA FCG's 99.9% of the time. Manufactures are spitting out M16 (FA) bcg left and right. No problems there. You can't just stick FA parts into an AR15 and have a FA firearm. In fact, it's not even as simple as drilling the evil 3rd hole and installing a sear. The receiver also needs a portion milled out to accept the sear itself. AK's need just as much time and labor, if not more, to convert. So owning FA parts does not make it readily convertible. I get that "constructive intent" can be used to prosecute someone, but owning FA parts isn't constructive intent either. Has anyone ever been arrested for constructive intent for just owning FA parts (no jigs, blue prints, etc)? It's quite possible, but you can also be arrested for assault for accidentally bumping into someone.

Some may reference the "Important Information" portion of the ATF Ruling 81-4, which I've pasted below this paragraph. This is not a law, it is merely a suggestion, suggesting that in order to avoid accidental slam fire due to hammer follow (and in turn illegal full auto fire making your AR a machine gun), you should remove any FA parts. It also states FA bolt carriers. How many of you have FA bolt carries in your AR now?lol You don't have to have FA parts in an AR to have a slam fire.. So I guess we shouldn't own AR's since some slight modification to the SEMI AUTO parts, a broken or worn disconnector for instance, can cause more than 1 shot per hammer pull. Very dangerous I may add. The "in order to avoid violations of the NFA" portion is reverting back to slam fires. It's not saying that owning or having these parts installed is a violation. This ambiguous paragraph was just thrown in to make it appear as if there is regulations on parts that aren't actually regulated. It's a stunt the ATF pulls time and time again in the majority of their rulings and opinion pieces.

"In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16, hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration."

Stop self regulating yourselves. If you don't want to own FA parts, that's perfectly fine. There's really not much of a need to unless you legally own a FA firearm, but there's no reason to spread false assumptions about the legality of FA parts either. It's really no ones business whether you have a need for FA parts or not though. Maybe you want a sear choker necklace lol. Who cares. You have a right to legally buy them for whatever reason you want other than illegally converting a firearm into FA.

Again, I also want to mention the countless times I've seen the term sear incorrectly used or misunderstood. Many people confuse the term with what we all know as the drop in auto sear. They are obviously completely different. The law that covers the drop in auto sear has absolutely nothing to do with a standard M16 sear. M16 sears do not have to be registered, nor are they illegal to own.

Look, by all means, follow the actual laws. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble. DO NOT illegally convert your firearm into a full auto, but don't go throwing away your FA hammer that happened to come factory with your SP1 either lol. Through confusing and ambiguous opinion pieces and laws, we have allowed the ATF to force us into self regulation. I've tried twice on here to list some LEGAL replacement sears for anyone who LEGALLY has a registered DIAS, and twice someone who has misinterpreted the law (no offense to the person) has flagged my listing as a prohibited item and removed it. I guess that's what has me fired up about this whole thing.

I understand what you're saying. I've seen M16 internals for sale for years at shows and in Shotgun News ads. The long tail disconnects and the hammers with the extra hook on the end etc. Used to see M2 Carbine parts a lot more. There was an ad in the Shotgun News for decades advertising drop in auto sears for ARs . Last time I recall seeing it they were $99.00. Many years ago I met an ATF agent at the Perry Gun Show and asked him about the ad. He said " Yeah it's legal. Legal for him to sell them and legal for you to buy them. NOT legal for you to use them.." So when I asked what was the point he said " Point is for him to make money. He don't care if YOU break the law."

I understand what you're saying. I've seen M16 internals for sale for years at shows and in Shotgun News ads. The long tail disconnects and the hammers with the extra hook on the end etc. Used to see M2 Carbine parts a lot more. There was an ad in the Shotgun News for decades advertising drop in auto sears for ARs . Last time I recall seeing it they were $99.00. Many years ago I met an ATF agent at the Perry Gun Show and asked him about the ad. He said " Yeah it's legal. Legal for him to sell them and legal for you to buy them. NOT legal for you to use them.." So when I asked what was the point he said " Point is for him to make money. He don't care if YOU break the law."

I saw boat loads of FA conversion kits sold at the shows before the ban. I always wondered what happened to them and if the buyers sent in their $200 and filled out the form. Now I wish I had a big boat full of them that were properly registered.

Right, but like I said, drop in auto sears are COMPLETELY different, and are completely different than the standard sear or "auto sear". Drop in auto sears readily convert a semi auto into a full auto. They are also now considered a machine gun. I'm not sure when that was, but the ATF finally cracked down on post sample drop in auto sears, and they are not legal to own anymore, even without an AR, unless you have the appropriate licence and stamp. I do want to add, though, that the actual sear of the drop in auto sear is perfectly legal to own, even with an AR in your possession. It's the body of the drop in auto sear that is regulated.

I saw boat loads of FA conversion kits sold at the shows before the ban. I always wondered what happened to them and if the buyers sent in their $200 and filled out the form. Now I wish I had a big boat full of them that were properly registered.

If you are talking about kits with just FA parts, they are not illegal. What do you mean by FA conversion kits? Just so we can clarify and not bring anymore confusion to this topic Lol

In the 90s I had a friend with a pawn shop in Macon. I recall he ordered 2 or 3 kits from somewhere like Sarco or similar surplus seller. They were the HK91/G3 knockoffs made in Spain No receivers with the kits but each kit had the 3 way trigger pack which as I recall was all you needed on HK rifles and they all used the same one from the 9mm up through the 5.56 and 308 rifles. He never intended to do anything with the rest of the parts. The trigger packs were what he was after since he had lots of HK guns.
I tell you what when I grow up I want to own a pawn shop.

Drop-in Auto Sears made prior to the 1981 ATF ruling that banned them as machine guns are still legal to own, and sell, but not legal to put into an AR.
Now, I've seen that shotgun news ad advertising pre-1981 auto shears for something like $110 these as were running as late as 2007 or so.

I have to wonder where they *really* 1981 or earlier auto sears?
Really? Nearly 30 years old, and STILL selling for just over 100 bucks ???
There's something suspicious about that.

If you are talking about kits with just FA parts, they are not illegal. What do you mean by FA conversion kits? Just so we can clarify and not bring anymore confusion to this topic Lol

These were complete kits sold in a poly bag with instructions and a form to send to the ATF along with your check.. The ones I remember were for the M1 carbine and another for the mini-14, there were others. NO Machine work needed, just swap parts and go full auto.

Back
Top Bottom