• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fellow buck slayers lets see em from past to present.

I agree 100%. Im a prime example on how I believe hunting should be. My first deer was a spike at age 11. My bucks have steady gotten bigger until now im 28 and ive finally killed my biggest buck yet. I also honed my tactics in all these years to help my chances. I always said there’s no fairness in hunting its just right place, right time. It always did turn my stomach to see some 9 year old holding up a buck most hunters will never get a chance to shoot. I don’t fault them for shooting it hell I wouldve too but as you said they may burn out on not seeing anything that big afterwards.

I've seen plenty of adults hang it up after finally taking a buck with nice antlers that they believe will never be topped by them. What they don't seem to understand is the antler size and the age are totally different things. Furthermore, each deer has its own personality, just like people or dogs, and some are harder to kill than others because they are more savvy. Speaking only for me, genetics and antler size mean less than age and savvy. I will always prefer a 6 year old warrior that grosses 125" over a 3 year old with better antler genetics. It keeps things more real. Bottom line, bigger antlers do not always mean the better buck. Sometimes you get both, but certainly not always.

I've seen mature does that were as smart as most mature bucks, and way smarter than some 3 year old bucks.

And I am not saying I haven't taken my share of 2-3 year olds. LOL...That would be a ridiculous lie!

I took my first deer when I was 9, and it was a button buck. Lol...It took me 2 more years before I killed another deer, and I didn't kill my first 8 pointer until I was 16.... 13" basket rack , but a trophy to me. Those are the days...

I've seen plenty of adults hang it up after finally taking a buck with nice antlers that they believe will never be topped by them. What they don't seem to understand is the antler size and the age are totally different things. Furthermore, each deer has its own personality, just like people or dogs, and some are harder to kill than others because they are more savvy. Speaking only for me, genetics and antler size mean less than age and savvy. I will always prefer a 6 year old warrior that grosses 125" over a 3 year old with better antler genetics. It keeps things more real. Bottom line, bigger antlers do not always mean the better buck. Sometimes you get both, but certainly not always.

I've seen mature does that were as smart as most mature bucks, and way smarter than some 3 year old bucks.

And I am not saying I haven't taken my share of 2-3 year olds. LOL...That would be a ridiculous lie!

I took my first deer when I was 9, and it was a button buck. Lol...It took me 2 more years before I killed another deer, and I didn't kill my first 8 pointer until I was 16.... 13" basket rack , but a trophy to me. Those are the days...
Ive definitely killed my share of does and small bucks. My 11 point at the time was the biggest buck i had shot and it seemed like a huge one. Looking at it now I wish i would have just European mounted him instead of spending $450 for a shoulder mount. My 12 point is the same. Shouldve euro mounted him. I do my own euro mounts so it definitely saves me $ but I want to try my hand at hide on taxidermy to save even more the next time a shoulder mount worthy stud finds his way in my crosshairs.

Reactions: MRH
A few of mine. Last pic is this year.
20190113_002915.jpg
20190113_002946.jpg
20190113_002928.jpg
FB_IMG_1546914179028.jpg
20181112_161436.jpg

Back
Top Bottom