• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FFL, selling, buying, trading

there have been instances where the batfe has looked into individuals for excessive buying/selling/trading that I have seen on other forums. usually comes from either someone calling in a tip or agents browse forums like these looking for suspicious activity.
if you have any class 3 weapons, remember the batfe can visit you anytime they want to and look for whatever they would like

Nope, the scope of the search is limited to the weapon(s). Once those are produced the search is over without a warrant.
Or your consent... Unless you leave incriminating stuff laying around in plain site, LOL

The wannabe dealers, the ones wanting to keep records "for their safety" are the ones that should worry if someone drops a dime on them. The records they keep could be used against them in a case where BATF wanted to pursue a case of unlicensed dealers. If they come with a search warrant, they will not ask to see your records they will find them on their own. I don't understand all the wannabe dealers wanting to keep all of the records, it is not required by law unless you are an FFL. The records of purchases and sales will not mean a thing in court to protect you since they are not legal documents. There has never been a case of someone being prosecuted for being a previous owner of a gun used in a crime without other evidence to support their direct involvement. I guess there is a lot of paranoia in gun owners. The BATF has criteria they use to determine if someone is being an unlicensed gun dealer, it usually is confirmed by agents buying or selling to the suspects and building a case. They don't come in guns blazing as soon as they "think" someone is dealing illegally. I personally will not deal with anyone that requires a copy of any of my personal information for "their records". I will show them my Drivers License and my GFL, but they will not copy anything. In this day and age of identity theft, there is no way a stranger will get that information. A licensed dealer has an obligation to secure their records, an individual does not.

Very good info, got a couple of other questions,
what do you do if you find out that you've bought a firearm that was stolen and LE wants proof that you didn't steal it? or how you came to receive stolen property? and why you don't have any type of receipt?
Thanks for all of the info, my buddies at work will think I am a wealth of knowledge, next time this conversation comes up.
1coolhand

As far as LEO knowing or finding out if you have a stolen gun, you probably have more problems to deal with. There has to be a reason for them to run the numbers and it means you have another reason for the LEO to have contact with you. Contrary to popular belief, they can't take any gun that you are not prohibited to posses and just run the numbers. I know there are some LEO's that go on fishing expeditions and run any gun they can see, but unless you have committed a crime or are a suspect they can't take your gun and run it legally. A receipt means nothing as far as a defense. The gun will be confiscated. The only receipt that would be a defense is a notarized bill of sale or a receipt from a licensed dealer. If you think something might be shady, 1. don't do the deal, or 2. go to a licensed dealer and do the transfer through them. The gun would still be confiscated, but you would have a defense against being in possession of a stolen gun. Anyone can make a receipt from thin air, and the crook would tell the police that is what you did if they came to him, then it is your word against theirs and you have the stolen gun..........Why didn't you have a receipt???? Because it is not required by law on a private sale.

what do you do if you find out that you've bought a firearm that was stolen
1coolhand
Check out the serial number on hotgunz.com. If it's covered up in the ad photo just pm the seller and ask for it. If he doesn't want to give it just walk away from the deal. Some folks don't record their serial numbers.:der: I don't know how they expect the items to be recovered if they have a theft. Write serial numbers down for everything. It may be the only thing that ties someone to a crime.
It would take a real rocket scientist to post a stolen gun on a forum such as this. It probably happens but...

The only way they know how many guns you are buying is if you buy more than 4 handguns in a day, then the seller has to fill out a multiple handgun sales form and send it in. Long guns are fine. If you are at an event like a gun show for example if you have more than 4 on your table you are considered a dealer and require a ffl

Actually if you buy two handguns at the same time, the FFL has to report it to the Government. According to one of my local favorite FFLs, if you buy two handguns within five working days they have to report that as well.
Long guns you can buy multiples all day long.

Actually if you buy two handguns at the same time, the FFL has to report it to the Government. According to one of my local favorite FFLs, if you buy two handguns within five working days they have to report that as well.
Long guns you can buy multiples all day long.

^^^^This is what my local FFL-holder just told me. Its perfectly legal but it requires more paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom