• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearms Identification

I was just thinking out loud but who's to know they changed ownership.

Here's what you have to keep in mind.

Every day there are people who are minding their own business, and they get busted for something. Your brake light is out. Some fool rear ends you at a stoplight. Someone breaks out the window in your car, and you file a police report. YOU weren't really doing anything, BUT that little bit of weed under the seat becomes your problem.

Same thing with a gun. It's gets stolen, or you get in an accident, or stopped for a traffic violation, and all of sudden where it came from becomes an issue.

There are all sorts of things you can shortcut, but it's the risk/reward equation, not the actual commission of the act that you have to consider. Probably everyone here speeds some, but they are willing to accept the risk, because even in the worse case, it's only going to affect your insurance for 3 years.

There is a regular booth selling guns at a local flea market. The Jockey Lot in Anderson has more guns for sale than some gun stores. Personally, I can't bring myself to buy guns that way, not the least because most of them look like they have been drug behind a truck, and all those guys know is "Blue Book". Obviously not every one feels that way because those guys are there every weekend.

I digress but what scares me about the flea market sellers is their shtick. They will have a half to a full dozen guns on their table, usually cheap ones in bad condition. But if you act real interested, or ask about a specific gun, they always have a few "back in the truck." I'm at the stage of life that I just don't want to mess with the potential consequences of buying a gun "out of truck." The $50 you might save isn't worth it.

I am not trying to dispute him or you. Follow the law and don't get busted. I was just thinking out loud but who's to know they changed ownership. Like I said in the first place I said he moved and didnt' bring them with him. I said nothing about telling the officer about his dad dying. However by all means follow the law. ( I AM NOT TRYING TO ARGUING WITH ANYONE ON HOW HE SHOULD DO IT, PLEASE LETS GET THAT STRAIGHT BEFORE THIS STARTS GETTING PERSONAL WHICH IT ALREADY HAS " good ole boys " I WAS JUST THINKING OUT LOUD ABOUT WHEN WE MOVED, THANK YOU).

Fair enough.

I think we all know, or should know, what the law is by now.

I thought I remembered somebody in this thread mentioning that the OP should just go get them and say they were his, or say that his dad gave them to him and that it was a verbal contract. Then it would be legal to bring them back to Georgia.

Regardless, good luck to the OP.

Jerry

Yeah the nice guns back in my truck I am not at all interested in all that crap. I like my hobby and I want to be able to enjoy it for a long time. A felony is not something you can just brush off your shoulders. Cherokee Gun and Pawn does transfers for free for online sales but I don't know what they would charge for that. I am not the one to break laws. However I have been known to use loop holes. Like gun show purchases. Ihave never had a mark on my record except motor vehicle moving violations. My record is clear there now too just so everyone knows.

Gentlemen, I hate to have started such a disagreement among everyone! I appreciate everyone's input and thanks for the well wishes from fellow ODTers. The estate has been released to the executor (my aunt) and I have put in a bid for several firearms, but really only want to get ahold of 2 for my collection (.357 Magnum Dan Wesson (older, probably 80s, possibly 70s) and a CZ .223(?) rifle with a Simmons Scope). I will have these legally transferred via Ohio FFL to my gun store in North Georgia. Thanks again for the advice all!

Back
Top Bottom