• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

First AR-15 Build

Basically what we're telling you is that there are much better options than the YHM. If you read between the lines, we're telling you don't waste your money. It may "look" pretty, but it's really not in the same league as the Colt or BCM. If you're dead set on a rail, buy a good one and accept that it's going to cost a little more. Same applies to the entire upper receiver group. I haven't had the time to look everywhere, but the PSA looks to be the best value so far, with BCM & Colt close behind in terms of dollars only.

Okay, but I still don't see where his prices are high..compared to who? He sells the BCM uppers for $420, just like everyone else. The DD 9 inch Omega rail is $275, but he only charges 265 if you add it to the BCM upper, and that's installed. If you know of someone that sells BCM uppers cheaper send me the link- I'd buy one instead of building my next one.
That's not what I was saying, I was saying get your own rail b/c those options are expensive and they're cheaper alternatives in rail selection.

That's not what I was saying, I was saying get your own rail b/c those options are expensive and they're cheaper alternatives in rail selection.
Alright, now I got it.
Yes, there are cheaper rails out there, and I don't have enough experience to give advice on that subject, except I would avoid UTG. I use MOE hand guards right now and plan on running a Troy/VTAC Alpha rail on my upcoming build. The first AR I ever fired was an M16A1 with the delta hand guards in boot camp in '81.

One of my custom builds:

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i287_mtdawg169_IMG_6816.jpg

Knights Armament Lower w/ SOPMOD stock
VLTOR MUR upper receiver
Knights Armament URXIII
Custom Noveske 17" rifle gassed barrel
Battle Comp
Atlas Bipod

My daily driver carbine:

Knights Armament SR15 E3 IWS

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i287_mtdawg169_IMG_5897.jpg

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i287_mtdawg169_9491b662.jpg

Last edited:
Finished most of my lower(just need the butt-stock) and it wasn't bad. Took me about an hour and its the first one I've ever done. Good luck with yours!

Best sure to function check the mag release and Trigger for proper function before you test fire. Congrats on a successful lower build!

Back
Top Bottom