• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First AR-15 Build

I'd love to be able to afford that much ammo!!

Nice looking AR! I'm going with all Magpul furniture in FDE. I think it'll look good.

And because I seem to hijack boatman's thread way to often here is the link to my build:
http://theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/187919-My-first-AR-15?p=1115542#post1115542

I'll update as I get more done.

Looks good man my parts kit just came in today, im moving this weekend so its going to be frustrating to be doing that knowing i have all the parts just waiting to be put together ughhhh
Ill post pic when its all put together, have you ordered an upper yet?

Also i only have steel punches, would it be wise to use brass?

Last edited:
Looks good man my parts kit just came in today, im moving this weekend so its going to be frustrating to be doing that knowing i have all the parts just waiting to be put together ughhhh

I ordered my upper from Palmetto State Armory. It is a hammer forded mid-length upper.

Brass punches are preferred but not really necessary if you're careful.

You'll be fine with steel punches for the lower assembly. Just be sure you're using roll pin punches for the job.

Lol, I used duct tape, a hammer, and a pair of needle nose on my first build, no punches.

You can do it that way, but it's easier and faster with a good set of roll pin punches. They're not expensive and I use them all the time for working on my ARs & M&P's. I've tried the WECSOG approach and learned the hard way that good tools are indispensable.

You can do it that way, but it's easier and faster with a good set of roll pin punches. They're not expensive and I use them all the time for working on my ARs & M&P's. I've tried the WECSOG approach and learned the hard way that good tools are indispensable.
Agree. You can build a lower at the kitchen table but it is easier and more efficient if you have access to a bench vise and the right tools. It's not like the correct tools are cost-prohibitive, especially if you might build more than one or need to change out a trigger.

Agree. You can build a lower at the kitchen table but it is easier and more efficient if you have access to a bench vise and the right tools. It's not like the correct tools are cost-prohibitive, especially if you might build more than one or need to change out a trigger.

It's not that hard to build although I HIGHLY recommend that you have the right pin punches or you will crush your rolled pins.

Back
Top Bottom