• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Bike - Need Some pointers

I must disagree though. A 250 is so incredibly underpowered... Good luck going 70mph as he stated he wants to do. Honest to god here, you may as well buy a stupid 50cc moped and not have to pay for registration/insurance... Nearly the same power and functionality. both look and ride just as poorly...

Do people really wear this stuff?!?!?! What happened to a nice full face, a jacket and some jeans?? I swear you're preparing him for a firefight...

I don't know about the 250's but I think he'll be fine. I had a 600. People that are calling that a "minimum" are crazy. My 600 was faster than just about any car on the road. Do you really need to beat all the sports cars on the road? No.

A firefight would be better than being ejected from a bike at highway speed. Yes, people wear that stuff.

It's not a motorcycle unless it breaks down regularly and YOU can fix it, has a v-twin engine, leaks oil (marking territory) and rattles your back teeth. Ricers Pffffttttt.

LOL!!!! Due to the joyful memories you just brought forth, I co-sign completely. Kids today have no idea what they are missing.

LOL!!!! Due to the joyful memories you just brought forth, I co-sign completely. Kids today have no idea what they are missing.
It's the ride, not how fast you can get there... But then again "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"..........

You need this...

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Get a good helmet. Full face, not flip

Get a set of full leathers, or body armor to wear under your jeans. Hip and back pads are a must.
'
Get a good jacket with pads, elbow, shoulder are a must.

Wear armored gloves, knuckle pads/plastic.

Don't drink and ride.

Don't ride during rush hour until you have a couple of months on the bike.

Don't ride in the rain unless you have to until you have more experience.

Go slow, and LOOK OUT FOR THE ****IGN SOCCER MOM ****S IN THE SUV ON THEIR CELL PHONES. They scare the crap out of me.

i39.tinypic.com_5p7ys.jpg

I don't know about the 250's but I think he'll be fine. I had a 600. People that are calling that a "minimum" are crazy. My 600 was faster than just about any car on the road. Do you really need to beat all the sports cars on the road? No.

A firefight would be better than being ejected from a bike at highway speed. Yes, people wear that stuff.
I promise you a 250 and 600 simply can NOT be categorized as the same type of vehicle at all. Regardless of the seemingly small cc difference, most 600's are race bikes while all 250's are for those who are scared and shouldnt be on a bike in the first place. An enduro is the greatest start out/practice bike (if you insist you need one) They are nice tall bikes with enough power to not be outrun by the hippie girl on a moped, very usable and diverse, and fun to ride and learn on.

I promise you a 250 and 600 simply can NOT be categorized as the same type of vehicle at all. Regardless of the seemingly small cc difference, most 600's are race bikes while all 250's are for those who are scared and shouldnt be on a bike in the first place. An enduro is the greatest start out/practice bike (if you insist you need one) They are nice tall bikes with enough power to not be outrun by the hippie girl on a moped, very usable and diverse, and fun to ride and learn on.

Oh snap I should of never passed those 600 cc sportbikes on my wife's ninja 250 in the mountains. Did not realize I was scared and should not have been on the bike at all. Dude a bike is as fast as your skill will allow it to be. Not trying to be a smart arse just your comment got me.

Thanks guys. I will probably do very little hwy driving. My daily commute is home down canton rd into marietta. The most hwy wpuld be up 575 to jasper where i shoot.

If i could do 70 comfortaly i am ok with that. I am only 160, 5'9".

As for helmet, are any brands more reputable? There is no price limit as i feel as if my head is important. However that being said, at some point, the price keeps going up and any.true benefit stalls. Just looking for a good quqlity functional helmet.

Im the same size as you, i ride a KXF250 on dirt and i could really use more power but the weight of a 450 keeps me from stepping up because i love riding trails. But if i was getting a dual sport, theres no way in hell i would get a 250. You will constantly be wound tight as virgin ...... well you get the point. This causes premature wear and tear on the top end resulting in valves and cam wearing out fast. Atleast get a 400, if your worried about to much power to handle then you can change your sprockets out to have more top end and less bottom to get you used to it. You can also adjust the rear shock for your height to help you feel more confident with the bike.

Oh snap I should of never passed those 600 cc sportbikes on my wife's ninja 250 in the mountains. Did not realize I was scared and should not have been on the bike at all. Dude a bike is as fast as your skill will allow it to be. Not trying to be a smart arse just your comment got me.

The 250 sportbikes and 250 dualsports are two different worlds. I have heard many stories of the 250 sportbikes whopping the 600s and 750s in the twisties. But a 250 dual sport is just a trail bike with road tires. Tranny gearing is totally different between the two. The guy you quoted is skewed on his idea about 250s bad lol.

Back
Top Bottom