first can suggestions

LittleTuna

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
18   0
Reaction score
Got my trust done and notarized, now looking to start a collection.

So is the smart move to buy a .45 can and buy different pistons for it? Is the decibel difference noticeable if its not exactly caliber matched?

I was considering the tirant .45 and buying a piston in 9mm and .22. Anybody think I should go a different route?

Don't think you will be happy shooting 22 through a big ass heavy 45 can. Get a rimfire can first and then move up to bigger and better things.

You will shoot a dedicated rimfire can more than anything else.

Just don't get a 5.56mm can first. It's a supersonic round and I see people buy these first all the time because they want to be a pretend "operator" and they get upset when it isn't Hollywood quiet.

I agree with NWSharpshooter here. They are cheap, pretty easy to find and user serviceable (most anyway). Shoot Jake @ Quiet Riot Firearms or David @ Classic City Firearms a PM and they can get you started.

Enjoy and and welcome to the addiction!!

Just don't get a 5.56mm can first. It's a supersonic round and I see people buy these first all the time because they want to be a pretend "operator" and they get upset when it isn't Hollywood quiet.

I agree with NWSharpshooter here. They are cheap, pretty easy to find and user serviceable (most anyway). Shoot Jake @ Quiet Riot Firearms or David @ Classic City Firearms a PM and they can get you started.

Enjoy and and welcome to the addiction!!

I like a 5.56 can - I can shoot .22 super quiet and my AR hearing safe. But .22 will be what you will likely shoot most. Just remember, if using on a rifle, you will need to use subsonic ammo to be "movie quiet"

I like a 5.56 can - I can shoot .22 super quiet and my AR hearing safe. But .22 will be what you will likely shoot most. Just remember, if using on a rifle, you will need to use subsonic ammo to be "movie quiet"

I can understand the newbie logic thinking that there is one can that will do everything. Simply put a 5.56, 9mm, .45 can on any .22 host is just dumb. Why would you want to hang a 15+ ounce weight off the end of a .22 pistol or rifle? If you want to shoot .22, 17hmr get a rimfire can, if you want to shoot .45,.40,.9mm, .300 blackout (subsonic) get a .45 caliber can, if you want to shoot .308 and 5.56, .300 blackout sonic get a 7.62mm can

Three silencers seven + calibers, start with a rimfire can, sure 9mm, .5.56, .308 are fun, shooting a .22 subsonic round through a dedicated .22 silencer is the most fun you'll have shooting suppressed as it's damn near movie quiet, and quieter than a BB or airsoft gun.

SWR Warlock II

WEIGHT:
3.0 OZ

DIAMETER:
1.000”

LENGTH:
6.00”

SWR Saker 5.56

WEIGHT:
18.0 OZ

DIAMETER:
1.500”

LENGTH:
6.76”

AAC SR5

Caliber:5.56 NATO
Weight:17.5 oz
Length: 6.7"
Diameter: 1.50

Last edited:
I can understand the newbie logic thinking that there is one can that will do everything. Simply put a 5.56, 9mm, .45 can on any .22 host is just dumb. Why would you want to hang a 15+ ounce weight off the end of a .22 pistol or rifle? If you want to shoot .22, 17hmr get a rimfire can, if you want to shoot .45,.40,.9mm, .300 blackout (subsonic) get a .45 caliber can, if you want to shoot .308 and 5.56, .300 blackout sonic get a 7.62mm can

Three silencers seven + calibers, start with a rimfire can, sure 9mm, .5.56, .308 are fun, shooting a .22 subsonic round through a dedicated .22 silencer is the most fun you'll have shooting suppressed as it's damn near movie quiet, and quieter than a BB or airsoft gun.

SWR Warlock II

WEIGHT:
3.0 OZ

DIAMETER:
1.000”

LENGTH:
6.00”

SWR Saker 5.56

WEIGHT:
18.0 OZ

DIAMETER:
1.500”

LENGTH:
6.76”

AAC SR5

Caliber:5.56 NATO
Weight:17.5 oz
Length: 6.7"
Diameter: 1.50

Because it is just as quiet if not quieter than a .22 can, saves me at least $400 and works just fine on my .22 AR upper with an optic. The extra weight means absolutely nothing to me, as I am not putting it on a pistol. If I ever decide to suppress a .22 pistol I will get a dedicated .22 can, but until then it is a waste of money.

Because it is just as quiet if not quieter than a .22 can, saves me at least $400 and works just fine on my .22 AR upper with an optic. The extra weight means absolutely nothing to me, as I am not putting it on a pistol. If I ever decide to suppress a .22 pistol I will get a dedicated .22 can, but until then it is a waste of money.

Which 556 can are you running?

Which 556 can are you running?

Huntertown Arms Kestrel. It is pretty inexpensive, but they have had some problems lately and their response to that has not been the best. I have had 0 problems with mine, but were I to do it over again, I would choose something different based on that.

I was at an indoor range about a year ago and a guy was firing a 223 that sounded a little funny to me. I asked him what ammo he was shooting. He told me it was a silencer. It was indoors but it was loud. I only have access to indoor ranges. I bought an Octane 9 on Friday - I don't shoot 45. I plan on getting a rifle 22 TB, the octane will be fine until I am less annoyed at the $200 stamp per can and buy a 22 silencer.

Back
Top Bottom