• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First suppressor

Lowrecoil

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
my last word will probably be oops.....
68   0
Reaction score
Ok guys I need some advice. I’m ready to get my first suppressor but every time I go look I get overwhelmed,frustrated and end up leaving empty handed. I understand about the federal stamp but lost on type to get. I want something I can switch to different guns. One for rimfire stuff for example? Can you do rifle and pistol? I have a lot of small caliber guns I’d love to shoot quietly.
Any help would be appreciated!

in all brutal honesty bite the bullet and buy a 22 can and then a larger bore whatever can, the 22 is so dirty you really limit yourself trying to get a do all that will leave you underwhelmed with your lifetime purchase in all calibres just trying to chase the one fits all. Everything in suppressors is a give and take, want quiet thats gonna cost in weight and length...want short...thats gonna cost in quiet...so on so forth

in all brutal honesty bite the bullet and buy a 22 can and then a larger bore whatever can, the 22 is so dirty you really limit yourself trying to get a do all that will leave you underwhelmed with your lifetime purchase in all calibres just trying to chase the one fits all. Everything in suppressors is a give and take, want quiet thats gonna cost in weight and length...want short...thats gonna cost in quiet...so on so forth
Thanks. I have just about talked myself into mulitple cans but just needed to hear it from someone whose been through it already. It didnt help that I started this during the covid crap so selection was bad. Seems to be better now.

Ok guys I need some advice. I’m ready to get my first suppressor but every time I go look I get overwhelmed,frustrated and end up leaving empty handed. I understand about the federal stamp but lost on type to get. I want something I can switch to different guns. One for rimfire stuff for example? Can you do rifle and pistol? I have a lot of small caliber guns I’d love to shoot quietly.
Any help would be appreciated!
I started with a .30 caliber can that I use on .308, 7.62x39, and .223 rifles. My 2nd can is used on pistols, 9mm & .45 ACP. My 3rd can is used on 22lr pistols and 22 Magnum rifles.

EDIT: All 3 are serviceable by me, I can open and clean them.

you can basically suppress anything you want with a 22 can, 9mm can, and 308 or larger bore can depending on your desire. 22 is just so dirty it really in my opinion does require a completely separate can cause you truly do need to clean it

you can basically suppress anything you want with a 22 can, 9mm can, and 308 or larger bore can depending on your desire. 22 is just so dirty it really in my opinion does require a completely separate can cause you truly do need to clean it
That brings up another issue. From what Ive seen some of these cans are a little complicated in the cleaning.

I got a Dobbs 22 can first.
Then I got a Rugged Obsidian 45.
Then I bought a Rugged Surge 30 cal can.
Make sure all of your can are user serviceable and check the cost of the mounts if you get a rifle can.
Also look at the warranty.
These 3 allow me to suppress everything I own.
I am considering another 22 can just because I use the 22 can most and it would be nice to have another when someone else is shooting with me.

I started with a .30 caliber can that I use on .308, 7.62x39, and .223 rifles. My 2nd can is used on pistols, 9mm & .45 ACP. My 3rd can is used on 22lr pistols and 22 Magnum rifles.
if memory serves one salesman told me there was one you could use with 9mm and 22's if you use an adapter. I may have misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom